Olive oil vs Olive Pomace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd probably be horrified to know that INCI labeling doesn't require identification of GMO ingredients either. Nor does it differentiate "organic" ingredients from those that aren't. Like with canola oil, the INCI name is "Brassica Campestris Seed Oil" and that's it. If a seller wants to differentiate their products and appeal to the demographic looking for non-GMO and organic certified ingredients, they should include it in the description of their product.

I'm not fond of the very green EVOO for castile soap. It sounds silly, but I prefer the "light tasting" regular virgin olive oil because it gives a lighter bar after months of cure. Otherwise I don't feel or notice any difference.

In Australia we also don't have any indication that something is GMO. Nor do they have to say "palm oil" is used. It's just vegetable fat. So if it says vegetable fat on any processed food it will be palm oil. If it is some other oil the producer will specify as if it is a miracle: olive oil or sunflower oil etc.
Organic is written on the packaging of lots of products here. It's very popular. :)

We are lucky here because I have never seen Olive Pomace Oil on sale and
EVOO is the same price (on special) as other OOs. QUOTE]

If I want pomace, it is readily available, you only have to know where to look, I can source it from food manufacturers, close by, reasonably priced. You can also get it from fruit markets, large Italian type deli's. All pomace is not the same, I stick to the one brand as I've found others not so good.

It's all a matter of personal opinion to use it or not -
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=17554
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=13950
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=11023

Penelope, what is it about Pomace OO in soap that bothers you so much? Truly, I really am curious what it is about it that is so bad. I have read a bit about how it's made, but I don't see how that computes into the soap.

Penelope, what is it about Pomace OO in soap that bothers you so much? Truly, I really am curious what it is about it that is so bad. I have read a bit about how it's made, but I don't see how that computes into the soap.

Earlene,
I don't like the chemicals (solvents like hexane) and heat they use to extract the oil from the left over pulp, skins and stems after all other extraction methods. I prefer to use cold pressed oil.

I am one of those people who believe that what you put on your skin is absorbed especially in the heat of a shower. I can make myself sick using soap with ingredients that I am allergic to (not just dermatological reactions) so I know for me that this is true. It's just a choice I make along with a lot of others especially in Australia. I haven't gone to the extent of using organic oils yet!

Relle,
I live in the country which explains why I haven't seen Pomace for sale around here.

PJ

Last edited:
Earlene,
I don't like the chemicals (solvents like hexane) and heat they use to extract the oil from the left over pulp, skins and stems after all other extraction methods. I prefer to use cold pressed oil.

Do you use EO only then also? I started out wanting the soap I made to be completely natural other than the lye. My outlook on it all has evolved. Some EO's bother me and I've only come across a couple FO's that do, so long as I avoid lavender. I've discovered that I can't use anything lavender whether natural or not. I use micas because I like how they look and I hated seeing my efforts wasted after cure using natural colorants. I don't make any lotions because I don't want to use preservatives and emulsifiers tho. I'll stick with lotion bars and whipped butters.

Thank you, Penelope. I certainly do believe that certain things are definitely absorbed through the skin, after all there are plenty of topical medications that work quite effectively to treat certain diseases. And regulations have changed many times in my lifetime regarding OTC products that are topically applied for that very reason. And of course we all do have different levels of sensitivity to different types of things regardless of regulations. I, for example, can't use almost any commercially prepared hair conditioner on my hair without breaking out in unsightly and extremely itchy raised red blotches on my face and neck. Most people I know think that's really strange. But it is what it is and I just don't use hair conditioner and I'm fine most of the time.

I suppose that even with the IOC regulations that restrict the allowable amount of benzopyrenes in pomace olive oil it may still be a problem for someone with sensitivities. Benzopyrenes are apparently what is restricted in pomace olive oil in the European Union and members of the IOC (reference). In the USA, however, it appears that what is restricted in pomace olive oil is halogenated solvents, heavy metals and pesticide residues (USA reference). I don't really know how those compare to the European restrictions, though. And I don't really know if the imported pomace olive oil that I buy meets USA olive oil standards. I am guessing that it meets both European and USA standards, but of course I cannot be sure. For me I think it's okay. Additionally, I investigated around a bit to read about regulated hexane exposure limits in the USA at least, since that's where I live. I found this and it leads me to believe that for me anyway, using pomace olive oil in soap is not going to create the kinds of exposures the CDC (Center for Disease Control) is concerned about. I couldn't find sufficient information from the WHO on hexane to address this topic; maybe I didn't delve deeply enough into the WHO articles, though.

But I thank you for sharing your concerns and now I better understand them, I think. And as a result of this conversation I did delve a little more deeply into the subject than I had previously, so that's always a good thing. Keeping educated is always good, IMO.

Do you use EO only then also? I started out wanting the soap I made to be completely natural other than the lye. My outlook on it all has evolved. Some EO's bother me and I've only come across a couple FO's that do, so long as I avoid lavender. I've discovered that I can't use anything lavender whether natural or not. I use micas because I like how they look and I hated seeing my efforts wasted after cure using natural colorants. I don't make any lotions because I don't want to use preservatives and emulsifiers tho. I'll stick with lotion bars and whipped butters.

I am allergic to most EOs. I can use some FOs and some EOs. I don't want to use preservatives and emulsifiers either so anything I do make (in future as I don't make them now) would be for personal use.

Olive Oil can be quite cheap if you source it locally from a grocery store or warehouse club. You don't need Extra Virgin Olive Oil for soap (it's far too expensive to soap with unless you need to). A 5 liter jug of 100% olive oil was about $20 at BJ's (warehouse club) the last time I bought it. As an added bonus, you can still cook with it.

I just wonder why the olive oil in Norway is so cheap compared to other countries? Here I can buy 1 liter for $1,30. That will be $6,5 for 5 liter. If we consider that salaries are in general way higher here than in USA, and the costs of living is higher as well, the price of $6,5 will maybe be approximately the same as if you should pay $3-4 for 5 liter. And that is in reality like $16 cheaper (approximately)! That is from the grocery store, and it's not marked as pomace. What REALLY is in the bottle, I don't know. But I don't think it's pomace since it is pale yellow. It's not branded either, just the grocery chain's own line of cheap products. Rapeseed oil is also in the same price range.

I don't understand the price difference, since the olive oil is imported anyway. To buy pomace from UK is way more expensive than to buy refined oil here. That does not make sense. I can sort of understand why it's way more expensive in America than here, since it must be shipped all the long way from Southern Europe (if you don't have your own olive plantations).

So I can not use any pomace oil to make soap, unless I want to pay more. So I will stick to refined olive oil (I think it must be refined, but don't know for sure since I don't have a bottle on hand).

I will also stay away from extra virgin or virgin olive oil. And that is because I think it is a waste of great food to use such qualities for soap making. The skin can hardly tell a difference anyway. And another point is that the producers often cheat with the higher qualites of olive oil. So it can be sunflower or whatever that is treated with chemicals and flavors to be sold as extra virgin olive. That can really mess up everything.

This is the pomace I now purchase for the little olive oil I use in soap http://cibariaspecsheets.com/public/specsheets/27 at 60 per 35 lbs it is quite cheap. I always purchased Costco Pure Olive, but this is approx $.42 cents a lb cheaper. Does not seem much but it all adds up. This is an amazing woman owned company, who treats her employees fantastically. Cibaria Intl and Cibaria Soap Supply are her two divisions.

I am one of the few that cannot use many EO's but I can use Synthetic FO's. During my days of taking vitamins I always had to use synthetic vitamins, other than vitamin c

Gosh no, I don't mean using Olive Pomace is blase. I meant when people say (on a forum) they use different ingredients or additives in soap and don't declare them. Like M&P makers who say their soap doesn't contain Lye. If one uses Pomace why not say so on the label? If makers are scared that it will chase users away don't use it. Otherwise what can it hurt to declare it?

The other day on a sugar free recipe site they advertised a recipe as sugar free. They used condensed milk but still said the recipe was sugar free because they didn't ADD sugar.

All I am saying is if you declare what you use in your soap then people have a choice.

PJ
Not all M&P is made with lye soap. By the time m&p is finished it is no longer considered soap, at least no in the US. Soap in the US does not have to be labeled if it is just sold as Soap. M&P does have to be labeled.

Back