Olive Oil Vs. EVOO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
So in a short period of time now, I've read a million "How to make soap books, articles, and video tutorials."

One of the things that a lot of authors seem to be different on is EVOO vs regular olive oil. I've read authors that have said to never use EVOO. And I've seen some that have said to go ahead and use it.

When you're buying your oil at Walmart the price is significant; $15 for big container of EVOO vs $20 for same size of regular olive oil (33% higher).

So what's the consensus of the people here? Better to go with EVOO or stick with regular olive oil?

I use regular olive oil rather than EVOO. I buy it at Costco. It seems to me that pricing for EVOO is always higher than regular olive oil, but I haven't checked Walmart. The one advantage to regular olive oil, aside from the cost, is that the soap ends up whiter. EVOO can be quite a bit greener. I don't think there is any difference in the actual soap using one or the other - at least not that I've noticed.

Depends on the color, ifs it green or yellows then EVOO will be just fine but pinks/lavenders don't go so well with greenish oils. When I was using OO, I just bought cheap pomace.

I can't say, as I don't use EVOO. It would depend on the color I would think. When I used unrefined avocado oil, which is very dark green, it messed with my colors - so I guess you'd just have to give it a try. The EVOO I have and use for cooking is not as dark as that avocado oil was.

I use pomace.. I think using evoo for soapmaking is such waste of money except for sf in which I'd prefer using some shea or coconut butter..
So yeah, I'd prefer pomace for soapmaking..

Also, evoo seems to prone to high temperature.. So I'd prefer pomace..

Use the EVOO for salad dressing, EVOO here is dearer than regular OO, you are lucky to get it cheaper, I use pomace, but will use OO in the future as I can get it at the same price now.

I use whatever is cheapest/on sale at Walmart (I check the price per oz). I don’t think I’ve noticed any issues with color from Walmart EVOO but I’m sure there are some brands that have stronger colors. I mostly use mica but I do have a blue lab color that’s formulated to counteract the green from olive oil, except that I’ve never noticed a difference either way.

I think my current recipe uses 20% olive, so I’m sure recipe will effect outcome. I’ve also started switching to sunflower because of the cost. If you search the forum you can find side by side comparisons between the two oils. If everyone else is accurate, the only difference is price. (Again, I haven’t noticed a huge change. I may just be unobservant )

I too use regular OO. I get mine at Costco. OO got quite pricey for some time so I switched over to Rice Bran that I got a really good deal on. Recently Costco OO came back down in price by about 8.00 so I purchased 2-3L bottles. I don't use a lot in my recipes anyway. Never more than 30%.

When I use olive oil it is the cheaper kind. Like shunt2011, I use a lot of rice bran oil. I order it 6 gallons at a time from Riceland. It is food grade so I can use it for cooking too.

My use of OO in soap is usually based on cost. I do used pomace some of the time because it traces faster and when I make Castile soap, I will often use 50% pomace to 50% plain OO for that very reason. But due to the higher cost (where I buy OO) of Extra Virgin OO, that is strictly reserved for oral consumption.

I've used both (well, all three actually if you count Pomace) and I haven't had problems with not having a white soap. I made unscented uncolored soaps for a year plus. My recipes during that time varied from 40% OO to 15% OO (usually in combination with RBO or soy oil when less than 30%). The biggest factor for me came down to cost and trace - if I remember right pomace traced faster.

At my Walmart OO is currently $19.95 and EVOO is $22.95, although proceed with caution on the Walmart brand, it is occasionally altered (not pure OO). I bought two containers once over my lunch break in winter, when I got home that night one was frozen solid (cloudy) and the other was perfectly fine. Both had different lot codes. After that I started freeze testing all of my OO bought at WalMart before using it. if it didn't pass I would return it to the store. I returned alot of oil. Reason #282 why I've now stopped using OO.

I use regular cooking OO or pomace. I never use EVOO as it is not cost effective. Plus, whichever you use in your soapmaking you won't be able to tell the difference in the finished soap. Both will behave and feel the same from my experience. I would only use EVOO as a point of sale for say something like maybe a baby soap. But even in that case using an organic OO would actually make a much better point of sale than EVOO.

I only use EVOO because I prefer it on my skin as it is cold pressed not chemically extracted. The green fades in a few weeks and over time turns very, very white.

Different EVOOs produce a different soap. Some produce gloopy soap, some produce soft soap. It never ceases to amaze me and makes you wonder about quality control! Or maybe it is the different olives.

I only use EVOO because I prefer it on my skin as it is cold pressed not chemically extracted. The green fades in a few weeks and over time turns very, very white.

Different EVOOs produce a different soap. Some produce gloopy soap, some produce soft soap. It never ceases to amaze me and makes you wonder about quality control! Or maybe it is the different olives.
Apparently quality control is a big issue with EVOO. But what do you do with gloopy or soft soap?

Apparently quality control is a big issue with EVOO. But what do you do with gloopy or soft soap?

Yes as Earlene said I’ve rebatched soft soap by making confetti soap but only with CP.
But if it is just a matter of a different olive oil used that caused the softness or gloopiness (which you can identify as soon as you unmold it or wash up your soap making jugs) it generally cures out over a year and I just don’t use that particular EVOO again.

We are lucky here in Oz because our EVOO is so cheap but good EVOO makes a really lovely gentle soap after a long cure.

Last edited:
Back