Olive Oil Test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smeetree

Reaction score
I just read that pure olive oil has an Iodine between 81.6 and 84.6. If we could somehow easily test iodine levels, we could test whether the olive oil is pure. Most olive oil is adultered with sesame seed oil or cotton seed oil.

Does anyone know a way to test iodine?

I am interested in this topic because my girlfriend and I cook a lot, too. So this crosses over into cooking not just soap making. Almost all the olive oil on the market is known to be fake or adultered. The regulations are iffy at best and certifications mean very little. You really have to know how to test your own stuff to get the facts. Maybe we can work together to figure out how to test iodine...

I found this, but I don't have 3/4 of the equipment: http://amrita.vlab.co.in/?sub=3&brch=63&sim=1111&cnt=2

I think if someone does, it would be fascinating if they test various brands. Or if someone knows an easier method to test iodine levels.

If you can shop at costco, get the kirkland brand OO. Its one of the few brands that test pure.

If you can shop at costco, get the kirkland brand OO. Its one of the few brands that test pure.

I'll write the manufacturer and ask their iodine number. That is probably the easiest test, and they should know. If it's not between 81.6-84.6 something has likely been altered. I got those figures from an old book. What is interesting now that many sites show 75-95 as pure OO. I trust the old book, as there's great incentive (i.e. hidden inflation) to dilute...

Edit: I wrote costco to ask.

Last edited:
Um, so tell me why you believe the iodine number is proof positive that a given oil is olive? References please.

Other oils have a similar iodine number and blends of oils can have a average iodine value that would fall within your range.

Jojoba Seed Oil 83
Shea Oil, fractionated (Shea olein) 83
Sunflower high oleic 83
Olive oil pomace 84
Camellia 85
Olive Oil 85
Avocado Oil 86
Castor Bean Oil 86

I don't get it.

Do you start every post with "um" like you have an attitude? I don't get that part or the need to act rude and/or like a know it all. Unless you can help answer the question (i.e. how to test iodine value) why answer at all?

To answer the question, you'd obviously have to test the oil by taste, too. Olive oil has a nutty/peppery taste in pure form. So if it has that, and an idione value of say 82, you very likely have pure olive oil. The last four oils you listed fall outside the range. Pomace tastes nothing like EVO. And the other three have color and properties that clearly aren't EVO. The book is The Soap Maker's Handbook. It's old but it has a lot of very specific information.

Do you start every post with "um" like you have an attitude? I don't get that part or the need to act rude and/or like a know it all. Unless you can help answer the question (i.e. how to test iodine value) why answer at all?

To answer the question, you'd obviously have to test the oil by taste, too. Olive oil has a nutty/peppery taste in pure form. So if it has that, and an idione value of say 82, you very likely have pure olive oil. The last four oils you listed fall outside the range. Pomace tastes nothing like EVO. And the other three have color and properties that clearly aren't EVO. The book is The Soap Maker's Handbook. It's old but it has a lot of very specific information.

I'd say you need to chill out. I'm thinking DeeAnna's response was reserved. I've never been accused of being shy however, so let me just say what she was trying to explain nicely.

Your iodine testing method to prove 100% is flawed. There's too many blends that would fall within that range, not to mention single oils. Way too many variables that could provide a false positive for OO. Taste tests won't prove 100% as a secondary taste, because the taste would be there in a blend.

While that may not have been the answer you're looking for, it is the logical answer to your initial question. But hey, carry on with your research. We all need a hobby.

Taste tests won't prove 100% as a secondary taste, because the taste would be there in a blend.

Well not just taste, but color, too. Olive oil has a distinct color. The people who test olive oil for 100% EVO do it based on color and taste. So I don't see how adding the iodine info would make it more flawed. If anything it would be the final piece because if it tests well outside the range then we know it's been adulterated. It still might not be 100% but it would be closer than what we know now.

It would also be interesting to test different brands. I bet some aren't even in the ballpark.

Regarding attitude. I was chill until that person started with "um" like she knows all. That is uncalled for. I'm a curious person and want to think things out. If someone doesn't like it or they can't answer the question then they shouldn't respond.

Last edited:
Well not just taste, but color, too. Olive oil has a distinct color. The people who test olive oil for 100% EVO do it based on color and taste. So I don't see how adding the iodine info would make it more flawed. If anything it would be the final piece because if it tests well outside the range then we know it's been adulterated. It still might not be 100% but it would be closer than what we know now.

It would also be interesting to test different brands. I bet some aren't even in the ballpark.

Regarding attitude. I was chill until that person started with "um" like she knows all. That is uncalled for. I'm a curious person and want to think things out. If someone doesn't like it or they can't answer the question then they shouldn't respond.
I had opportunity to live in Spain for over two years, in the village with thousand of olives trees. I had tried the EVOO and Pure Olive and it does not taste like the ones I can get in Costco or any other stores on this continent. I had read that most of Olive oil is mixed with sunflower oil.
DeeAnna is our forum guru and she has an incredible knowledge. I would not try have your attitude. You tried it on me too:)) I do not care, really. Most people here are very nice and polite, sharing freely their experience and knowledge, please, respect it:)
Why would you use EVOO for soaping?

When it come to soap, Deeanne does pretty much know it all. Testing OO for purity involves so much more then just tasting it lol. If it was that simple, companies wouldn't be getting away with diluting it because people wouldn't buy it.

I found this info on wiki
Testing for purity

The detection of olive oil adulteration is often complicated with no single test that can accomplish the task. A battery of tests is employed to determine Olive oil authenticity and identity of the adulterant. Included in this testing regime is the determination of free acidity, peroxide value, UV extinction, fatty acid composition, sterol composition, triglyceride composition, wax content, steroidal hydrocarbons, and the Bellier test. [22] Methods employing chromatography/mass spectrometry and spectroscopy are often used to detect adulteration of olive oil [23][24][25] These methods can be very expensive, time consuming, and results are often incomplete, since not always components added/substituted can be identified.
Test results are measured against the International Olive Council trade standard to identify abnormalities. Each test provides key information which allows a decision to be made with respect to the grade of Olive oil and the identity of any adulterants. However, the International Olive Council does not test for deodorisation which makes up the bulk of fake extra-virgin oils. Soft column deodorisation is the process where steam is forced through a tank of inferior oil which removes all taste, colour and nutrients, colouring is then added before the tank is topped up with real extra-virgin oil to add flavour.[7]
A test published in 1887 described the detection of olive oil adulterated with mineral oil by a simple titration of the carboxylic acid moieties present in natural vegetable oils. The procedure involved boiling 10 milliliters of olive oil with 40 milliliters of approximately 1 molar potassium hydroxide in 95% ethanol, adding water to 100 grams to dissolve the saponified lipids, and titrating against a normal sulfuric acid solution using phenolphthalein as a pH indicator dye. The base stock solution was titrated to neutralize an equal quantity of the acid, so without the presence of vegetable oil it would require 40 milliliters of acid to cause a color change, but in the pure oils tested (almond, benne, cottonseed, cod liver oil, linseed oil, and olive oil, only 6 milliliters were required. In accordance with this, olive oil adulterated with 10% mineral oil required 8 milliliters, and with 20% 11 milliliters. The adulterated oil tested in 1887 required 14 to 17 milliliters to neutralize, so it might have been 30-40% mineral oil.[26]
Olive oil DNA analysis methods, based on the use of PCR (e.g. DNA fingerprinting), have been use for determining counterfeit. These techniques requires extensive sample preparation, which needs specific optimization to ensure extraction of sufficient DNA, and that PCR inhibitors are not affecting the analysis. To date, there is no DNA extraction method applicable to any sample. [27]
Another method against olive oil adulteration, making use of articial, sub-micrometer-sized DNA barcodes, has recently been developed. The barcodes consist of magnetically recoverable silica particles containing synthetic DNA sequences, which are added to the oil in very small amount (down to 1 ppb) and can be retrieved at any time for authenticity test by PCR/sequencing. The advantages of this method, compared to conventional techniques, are that is low-cost, sample preparation is minimal and require minute volumes, and the method is universal, since it can be applied to any oil type/sample without specific procedure optimization.

I'm sure there are a couple of old Italian dudes that can rub a little oil on their hands, smell it and tell if it's mainly OO. I'd be impressed if one of them could say, "hmmm, I smell at least 5% Canola oil in here". Personally, I don't think it would be possible. Might be able to tell if it were virgin, pure or pomace by smell, taste and color, but there is variation in color even in pure olive oil depending on the harvest.

I'll put on my DeeAnna hat, though I don't pull this out of my big ole scientific brain like she does. I have to research it and provide a link. :)

http://www.foodquality.com/details/...ive_Oil_Authenticity.html?tzcheck=1&tzcheck=1

These tests would seem to be able to produce much more reliable tests than either hiring a old Mediterranean dude as a personal olive sniffer, or trying to iodine test them. Truth is, while there will probably always be counterfeits, it's not near as prevalent as the conspiracy theorists would have you believe.

And one final word on the "that person", whom we refer to as DeeAnna. Managing many different company's, I always relied on people who had more knowledge of the situation than I did. Didn't mean I always agreed with them, but I always listened and usually learned something. Only a fool ignores someone with more knowledge than they have.

Last edited:
Testing OO for purity involves so much more then just tasting it lol.

I can't find the article, but I read earlier that in Italy the quality is done by taste. I'll try to find it again if you want.

But anyway, I know everything about recording engineering and a handful of other topics, but when I post on those forums I never give people attitude because they have a theory nor do I act like I know all (at this point you're stunted). Curiosity should be encouraged. Now because of this person and thread I don't want to ask anything. Okay, cool, I will bounce ideas off myself.

Its not that you are curious its more like you ask for advice then ignore it if you don't agree. Not that you have to agree with everything that you are told on here but why ask in the first place if already have made up your mind? It makes you seem overly stubborn and unwilling to learn.

As already said, I'm sure there are people in the Mediterranean who can tell quality by taste but there is no way they can determine absolutely if a oil is adulterated and by what. There is also no way that the EVOO we eat in America is any where near the quality that come from the Mediterranean. If you are looking for the highest quality for eating, look for the barnds that come from small farms in California. Its **** expensive but if you like the pungent flavor then thats the way to go.

As far as soap goes, its really not that important. I've used lots of different types of OO and I honestly can't see/feel a difference in the finished soaps except maybe for color. EVOO makes a really yucky colored soap.

Admins. Please delete thread. Regret making this.

Its not that you are curious its more like you ask for advice then ignore it if you don't agree.

I did not ask for advice. I just asked if anyone knows how to calculate Iodine Value without a lot of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back