Olive Oil Price Increase

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelMomma

Reaction score
So, I read plenty about this.....that it may/would happen. But its still a bummer when I see that its actually happening here. The large Olive Oil that I usually get at my local Sam's Club used to be $10.88. Its now $12.88. Boohoo!!!

I know, but I also know that yellow is not EVOO, with the price increase. (The debate over what oils are added to EVOO in the grocery store to make it cheaper for them to sale. Many articles online about it.)

It may be better to buy online for soaping, no sense in throwing good money after bad. JMO.

Mel curious why you feel it's better to buy online. Have you been able to find an absolute reputable source of olive oil you would care to share? :)

Mel curious why you feel it's better to buy online. Have you been able to find an absolute reputable source of olive oil you would care to share? :)

I agree. I realized that my local "go-to" store (Ocean State Job Lot - I think they're only in New England?) has it cheaper than anywhere I found online with shipping and everything.

The gold colored Daily Chef brand (sam's club) is 100% pure olive oil. It, actually, went from 11.68 to 12.88 in the last week. I use it and haven't had any problems.

I know, but I also know that yellow is not EVOO, with the price increase. (The debate over what oils are added to EVOO in the grocery store to make it cheaper for them to sale. Many articles online about it.)

It may be better to buy online for soaping, no sense in throwing good money after bad. JMO.

True that the yellow jug is not EVOO, but it is 100% olive oil - it is Refined Olive Oil (grade A) and perfectly wonderful to soap with. I won't soap with EVOO because of A) the price difference, B) the smell difference and C) the EVOO gives a greener tint to my soap.

I have read MANY articles about the purity of olive oils on the market, and it is referring to whether or not the olive oil is actually a blend of OO and other oils, not whether or not its EVOO or not. Many of the articles have also pointed out specific brands that are known for blending. Sam's Club's Daily Chef (formerly Member's Mark) and Costco's olive oils are on the safe list for purity.

OP, I've noticed this too! Olive oil is not as cheap as it used to be.

People out there in the world, I guess what store is comparable, would be whole foods. Over here, we have a natural food store chain, called New Seasons. I LOVE that place. It's a great little local store where I can go and pick up (granted not in very large quantities) emergency oils. Pretty much anything. I wonder if they sell Palm oil. I ordered some a couple weeks ago, and it still hasn't arrived. The tracking number still is stuck at "scanned." So bummed, because I try to be the coolest buyer who doesn't make a stink about problems with items I buy. But, I'm so anxious for new oils, it makes me sad. : (

Last edited:

I just buy whichever is cheapest, and with enough stuff in the cart for some sites you get free shipping. I've found OO to be slightly cheaper that way, at least for this area. It has gotten to be $25.98 when on sale for just OO in the big can here, and that is once in a while sale. I don't use EVOO in soap, but if I want really good EVOO for eating I would go to or order from a gourmet supply shop and get Certified Organic.

I'm not sure what I will do if olive oil gets really expensive. I do really love rice bran oil! I have been using it as part of the mix, haven't totally replaced the olive oil yet. I was able to get rice bran oil at a great price from Cash & Carry, think it was just a little more than $1.00 a pound.

Oooh, happy I added a little rice bran to the order to arrive in a few days. I'll look for it locally too. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Well it seems like I am not the only one who is seeing this price increase. I've never tried the rice bran oil. I have never seen it around here.

I don't think they are exactly the same, but I can cut the amount of OO in half or just a little less and use RBO for the other half. It makes a really nice soap. The feel is nice, and the bar usually has a nice smooth finish. I still have to try replacing all of the OO. For me it is one of those base oils that you can put into almost any recipe. Restaurant supply stores, or Asian markets carry RBO.

The gold colored Daily Chef brand (sam's club) is 100% pure olive oil. It, actually, went from 11.68 to 12.88 in the last week. I use it and haven't had any problems.

When using this OO and soap calc would I input the numbers as EVOO or Pomace OO?

Ryan, I use the Sam's Club brand and plug in EVOO into soap calc. Since it's not pomace and it's supposed to be a percentage of EVOO, I think it would have similar properties.

Back