Olive Oil or Hemp Seed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Espino

Reaction score
So I want to get a base that is nourishing and I’m not sure which one to get. I know hemp seed has olive oil in it, but what is the difference? Also, I really don’t want the soap to be too transparent, what can I use in it so it will be a little more opaque. Thank you in advance!

Hi Matt, I would get a sample pack of the different bases that you are thinking about using to see which one you like the best. You can make the base more opaque by adding Titanium Dioxide (white pigment) but it will also make colors lighter. Adding a little bit of a butter (like 3%) of cocoa butter can add a little cloudiness. HTH

So I want to get a base that is nourishing and I’m not sure which one to get. I know hemp seed has olive oil in it, but what is the difference? Also, I really don’t want the soap to be too transparent, what can I use in it so it will be a little more opaque. Thank you in advance!
IMHO I don't think that you will notice a difference from a clear base or one with either liquid in it. The only MP soap that my customers said they noticed a difference, was when I added WS shea (Water Soluble). You can add about 1-2 teaspoons per pound of M&P soap. However you still might not notice a difference. M&P soaps are hard to adjust from the original formula. Someone else might feel differently about what I said and that is why it is just my opinion.

I forgot that the WS shea is also called Shea 50

Last edited by a moderator:
Back