Olive oil mayonnaise soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkisessence

Reaction score
I made an all Olive oil soap at 7% sf. Whipped oil with egg yolk, mustard, and vinegar then whipped in egg white. Added sugar to water, then lye. Added wintergreen eo and then slowly poured cooled lye water into Olive oil emulsion and whipped to thick. Made a nice soap.

IMG_20160331_102712.jpg

Wow, that color is great!
Interesting experiment. I know people sometimes puts an egg yolk in their soapbatter (I guess because of the sulfur in the yolk. Some use the whole egg too)

How does it smell? Foody with a twist of Wintergreen, or just fresh?

I didn't add extra lye. I made mayonnaise using Alton Brown's recipe accounting for 7 oz of OO in the recipe. It was a little soupy because I heavy handed the oil as I added :). I then whipped the white and whipped the mayonaise into that (back to a pretty foamy/firm consistency). I made my lye water by weighing water, lye, and sugar in equal portions according to saponification of 7 oz OO. I made my saturated sugar solution and when cooled mixed in lye. I whipped the eo (3 oz) into the mayonnaise the poured the cooled lye solution in slowly and whipped off and on in 30 second bursts for about 5-10 minutes. The smell is very wintergreen! My son disliked it but it reminds me of Skoal (I knew way too many "cowboys" in college). I used freshly ground mustard seed (because I had it on hand) but mostly I wonder if the color comes from the egg yolk (I get them fresh from my sister-in-law).

I wanted to try the March challenge but I don't have enough posts under my belt. I also wanted to see if I could make a whipped soap with a liquid oil by emulsifying it. This soap doesn't float. I don't know if by not making the first stable emulsion that the experiment failed? So, I may attempt again and try to be more precise with my mayonnaise. Also, I may try a different emulsifier (soy lecithin?)

Making a mayo and using an emulsifier is not going to make a whipped soap, at least not that I know of. But I have been known to be wrong at times. You need to make the soap and whip it. Also making a mayo and adding it to the soap will gain nothing different than if you added the ingredients into the oils then added in your lye. With the vinegar you upped your superfat from your beginning superfat number.

Good to know!

Thanks for your reply, Carolyn Z! Soap is my way of playing lab since I have been sequestered at home with MS and seizures :). It was an idea to try and if you do ever try to do what I did, let me know! It's an interesting bar of soap - hard and already lathering after two days (but I will keep on studying that). This also doesn't have the snotty effect that I find with other unripe OO soaps. My favorite oil alone soap so far is soybean oil soap (followed closely by Safflower). My thoughts on creating an emulsion were that I might be able to get air into an oil soap in the way that whipping hard oils/fats makes a bar that floats. It was just a try that I thought I might share. Happy Soaping!!

I am very sorry to hear about your illness and being stuck at home. My youngest daughter has seizures and rheumatoid arthritis which keeps her at home most of the time. She is trying to do a market once a week selling ladybugs, praying mantis, hawkmonth catapillars and Painted Lady Butterfly Catapillars, to make money for 8 crowns she needs.

I use powdered egg in soap and in my opinion it gives the same feel if not silkier than silk. When my powdered egg is gone I will probably start using fresh eggs. Ohhh...maybe a chicken and egg soap is in the future. At least when I save up enough chicken fat again, it works interesting in soap if you like to play. I find chickie fat really slows trace

Your soap is a gorgeous color, wonder if it is from the mustard or egg yolk. Hopefully it stays that color

Thank you for your kindness

Carolyn Z,
I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's illness but glad she's found something she can do for income and enjoyment. I tried to sell soap - I can make it but I can't sell it :)! I like the egg in this soap! I've not tried it before. I love Alton Brown and I kept thinking while I was making mayonnaise (his recipe thus the mention) and saw the whipped soap challenge on here - why not! Chicken fat sounds interesting - that I have not tried. It may be awhile but I may try the mayonnaise soap without mustard and see how it affects the color (although I think mustard helps the emulsion). The soap is only two days old now - I posted the pictures just after I popped it out of the mold the morning after making it. Best wishes to you and your daughter!

Back