Olive oil butter ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Hello evryone.

As you know, we need hard oil for our soap but they mainly come from afar (palm, coconut etc...). I was browsing a very well known french site for cosmetic ingredient and saw an article about olive butter. I thought it was simply an hydrogenated oil but they clearly state that there is no hydrogenation involved and it come from a part of olive oil very rich in stearic and palmitic acid. It is said to melt at around 50°C

I never heard of solid olive oil but I would REALLY want to try this product. Have you heard of this before ? Does it have another name ?

Thank you in advance

Source (in french) : https://www.aroma-zone.com/info/fiche-technique/beurre-vegetal-olive-aroma-zone

Have I mentioned rice bran wax to you before? I believe recommended usage is up to 10% in CP soap. A little certainly goes a long way in lotion bars and lip balms which is good because it is pricey! It's winterised (whatever that means) rather than hydrogenated as can be seen here: https://www.aromantic.co.uk/products/rice-bran-wax

Sorry I can't help with the olive butter but do report back if you decide to try it!

Have I mentioned rice bran wax to you before? I believe recommended usage is up to 10% in CP soap. A little certainly goes a long way in lotion bars and lip balms which is good because it is pricey! It's winterised (whatever that means) rather than hydrogenated as can be seen here: https://www.aromantic.co.uk/products/rice-bran-wax

Sorry I can't help with the olive butter but do report back if you decide to try it!

No I never heard of it :) I wanted to try olive butter to try to do a local soap ^^

Okay
So by researching , I think I understood how it's made. The process used is probably winterisation. When you cool down oil at very specific temperature, part of the oil will solidify and an other part will flow. You can thus separate unsaturated and saturated fatty acids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello evryone.

As you know, we need hard oil for our soap but they mainly come from afar (palm, coconut etc...). I was browsing a very well known french site for cosmetic ingredient and saw an article about olive butter. I thought it was simply an hydrogenated oil but they clearly state that there is no hydrogenation involved and it come from a part of olive oil very rich in stearic and palmitic acid. It is said to melt at around 50°C

I never heard of solid olive oil but I would REALLY want to try this product. Have you heard of this before ? Does it have another name ?

Thank you in advance

Source (in french) : https://www.aroma-zone.com/info/fiche-technique/beurre-vegetal-olive-aroma-zone
Le beurre végétal d'olive
C'est 55 grs hv olive
30 grammes acide stéarique
10 grammes alcool cétylique
Fondre, remuer mettre en pot, mais utilisé à ce jour dans les savons

Description from the SDS:

"Product name: Olive Butter
Synonyms: Olive oil, Hydrogenated soy oil & medium chain triglyceride and Tocopherol"

So basically, olive oil blended with hydrogenated vegetable oil, and some vit E.

Description from the SDS:

"Product name: Olive Butter
Synonyms: Olive oil, Hydrogenated soy oil & medium chain triglyceride and Tocopherol"

So basically, olive oil blended with hydrogenated vegetable oil, and some vit E.

This product specifically say it was not hydrogenated oil but maybe they blended hard oil in it ...

Hello evryone.

I never heard of solid olive oil but I would REALLY want to try this product. Have you heard of this before ?

sorry I can’t help with olive butter but I wouldn’t get too hung up on the hard/soft oils. Soap calc numbers don’t take into account that OO makes a really hard bar after a long cure. That’s why they are useless when using OO as an ingredient.

Just make a few batches of soap and test them out and see what suits your skin and your requirements for a “good” soap. everyone has different skin so we all prefer different recipes!

Back