Olive oil brands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've tried three different types/brands of olive oil and have gotten noticeably different results with each of them. I was wondering what kinds of olive oil others use, and where you get it. Here's what I've used and how it has behaved, for those of you who may also still be shopping around for OO:

VIGO 100% Olive Oil "Mild Taste", which I get at Publix grocery stores here in Florida. This oil makes a nice soap, but it usually takes at least 30 to 45 minutes to come to trace, stirring constantly with a Kitchen Aid mixer. Cost about $0.27 per ounce.

Capatriti OO in a metal can, which I got once at a SweetBay grocery store. At first I was thrilled with this OO, for two reasons: 1) it's cheaper than the VIGO (about $0.17 per ounce instead of $0.27) and 2) because compared to the VIGO, batches came to trace MUCH faster, usually in 5 to 10 minutes. However, the finished soap was not as pretty as the VIGO soap. It was streaky, but not with lye. The streaking happened in the same way with every batch I made with this OO, and though the soap was still fine to use, it was not as aesthetically pleasing.

Liberty Naturals Pure cold pressed OO from Spain. This one is WONDERFUL. It makes a gorgeous, smooth, uniform soap with no streaking, AND my soaps traced within 5 to 15 minutes. I even made a gorgeous castile soap with it. The only problem is that it is much more expensive (about $0.42 per ounce, including shipping for one gallon), and I have to order it online, pay a lot for shipping, and then wait for it to arrive. If I could run to the store and get it, there would be no issue, but even though the cost per ounce of the oil goes down the more you buy, I imagine the cost of the shipping goes up, and it ends up costing the same either way.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations or other experiences to share about the OO they use? Thanks!

Hi -

I just use the lightest colored and cheapest oil available at the time. I usually use a store brand light Olive oil (walmart, sams or other grocery store brands) or Pomace when I can find it. I haven't had issues with trace with any of the brands I have used.

I use Montolivo that I purchase from Superstore. I usually buy the regular and not the Extra Virgin but I did just get some of the EVOO to try.

The regular was 16.97/3Litres Canadian and the extra was 19.97/3Litres Canadian. Sorry about the Litres but it doesn't show a weight measure. The regular would equal about $1.41 per cup if that helps at all.

No streaking with this brand and as for trace...I use GSE and palm oil so my trace tends to be under 10 minutes.

I've been using Trader Joe's EVOO for $6.99 per liter. That's $3.45 per lb. I hear that Costco has their Kirlkland OO for even less.

You should get a stick blender. I've never had a batch stir longer than 15 minutes to trace, not even pure OO. You can get a Hamilton Beach SB at Walmart for $20. Just remember to let it rest if it heats up or you'll burn it out. I usually stir for a minute, SB for 30-45 seconds, rest 2-3 minutes, repeat. Get rid of that Kitchen Aid or go bake a cake! ;)

Lovehound said:
I've been using Trader Joe's EVOO for $6.99 per liter. That's $3.45 per lb. I hear that Costco has their Kirlkland OO for even less.

You should get a stick blender. I've never had a batch stir longer than 15 minutes to trace, not even pure OO. You can get a Hamilton Beach SB at Walmart for $20. Just remember to let it rest if it heats up or you'll burn it out. I usually stir for a minute, SB for 30-45 seconds, rest 2-3 minutes, repeat. Get rid of that Kitchen Aid or go bake a cake! ;)

I wish I lived near a Trader Joe's! I could get OO AND wine cheap. Oh well.

The stick blender is a good idea - I was just using my Kitchen Aid because I already had it when I started making soap. I would rather just keep it for cooking, though. Thanks for the tip!

Actually Andrea I even checked to see if TJ's had stores in FL, and discovered your sad, sad truth. :( But I'll toast you this evening with a glass of TJ's Two Buck Chuck! :D (Chardonnay is my favorite.)

Well I see you've got a Costco in Brandon and in Clearwater, so their prices are better anyway. I doubt if there's much difference soapwise in any OO excepting pomace which I hear accelerates tracing. I decided to skip pomace for the time being and just use plain, cooking OO. I think your Costco will be the best OO supplier for you.

Lovehound said:
Actually Andrea I even checked to see if TJ's had stores in FL, and discovered your sad, sad truth. :( But I'll toast you this evening with a glass of TJ's Two Buck Chuck! :D (Chardonnay is my favorite.)

Well I see you've got a Costco in Brandon and in Clearwater, so their prices are better anyway. I doubt if there's much difference soapwise in any OO excepting pomace which I hear accelerates tracing. I decided to skip pomace for the time being and just use plain, cooking OO. I think your Costco will be the best OO supplier for you.

Mmmm, I like the Merlot... I know there are Costco's nearby, so I can check that out for OO. Do you have to be a member to shop there?

Yes, you do, but you can get a visitor's pass "to check out if you want to join" and they add a percentage surcharge for non-member purchases. I'm not a member either, so I just hitch along with family or friends. :)

Call them up and ask what the surcharge is. You might also want to verify that they have your OO and the price before driving over. Remember gas is part of your cost.

Latest posts

Back