Olive Oil advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribe

Reaction score
Susan Miller Cavitch discusses the differences in olive oil grades; from extra virgin, to A, to B and then pomace. I'm not clear though as to which oil contributes the most moisturizing properties to the bar. Pomace has the least saponifiables but extra virgin seems to be the highest quality. Are there any true Castile soapers here who can once and for all answer this for me? TIA

Susan Miller Cavitch discusses the differences in olive oil grades; from extra virgin, to A, to B and then pomace. I'm not clear though as to which oil contributes the most moisturizing properties to the bar. Pomace has the least saponifiables but extra virgin seems to be the highest quality. Are there any true Castile soapers here who can once and for all answer this for me? TIA

Well, soap does not moisturize your skin. So what you use is what you end up liking the feel of.

Each of us have our own ideas on it, but I think most people here do not use EVOO. I use the whatever the Sam's Club is, probably A. Several people use pomace, but that can speed up trace.

What's the problem with speeding up trace? You say that like it's not a good thing.

If you'd like to have more time while the soap batter is thin so you can do decorative work, then speeding up trace is not necessarily a good thing. If you just want to get the soap done and poured, maybe a fast tracing recipe will be fine. Like so many things, it depends on your goals and point of view.

What's the problem with speeding up trace? You say that like it's not a good thing.

Just as DeeAnna says, I make soap more as an artistic outlet than anything else. I love colors, swirls, scents, and all the different designs. Sure there are times I want my batter thicker, but I can control that with water discounts and use of a stick blender. Accelerating FO's are more than enough for me to worry about, without having to deal with a base oil that speeds things up as well

EVOO is cold processed first pressed oil. This has the highest levels of antioxidants. No heat or chemicals are used to extract the oil which is in its purest form. Light OO uses second grade olives. Refined OO is a blended mix of all types of OO where heat and or chemical extraction methods are used. Pomace, which has to be declared if used in a blend in Oz, uses chemicals and heat to extract oil from olives that have gone through the first press or second press and may include twigs and leaves.

If you believe oils qualities and chemicals can be transmitted transdermally even in wash off products (I do) then you would choose EVOO. For us in Oz it is a very easy decision because EVOO is relatively cheap than the other types and easily obtainable. But it comes down to personal choice.

Some EVOO are really green (some batches of the same type of oil) they will colour your batter a bit so it will be a pale yellow. This can throw colours! Over time 100% EVOO will turn to a creamy white bar (1-2 years) unless you add honey where it will be a tiny bit tan.

Last edited:
thanks so much penelopejane.
here's my q for you though: they say there are more saponifiables in EVOO. so while it's true it's the best grade for culinary use, in terms of soapmaking grade A is said to be the most moisturizing (as it has less saponifiables).

and yes, i am also of the belief that hexane or whatever other solvents absorbed into B or pomace are not good for me.

^^^ I'll have to ask the I house biochemist who is currently asleep. ��

I also believe that after using high % OO soap for 9 months that my skin is a lot more moisturised. Soap may not moisturise skin (who knows?) but it can certainly strip your skin if oils. So the end result can feel like handmade high OO soap does condition your skin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back