Oleo-resins in CP? (Frankincense and Myrrh)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllyHood

Reaction score
I've got a pound each of frankincense and myrrh begging to be made into soap but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do so. I'm tempted to make an oil infusion with the powdered resins but I'm concerned the compounds will be rendered useless by saponification. I've seen that you can add frankincense powder at trace, but I don't particularly want a gritty bar. I'm also tempted to try making frankincense tea and using that as the liquid but again, I'm worried the lye will trash any good components of the resin.
Thoughts? Experiences?

This is where I'm drawing inspiration from:
http://apothecarysgarden.com/2014/0...extract-of-frankincense-and-other-oleoresins/

Your best bet is to use a oil infusion. I tried once, infused my resins for months to get a really nice rich smelling oil. The smell doesn't stay in the soap, but I couldn't tell you if any of the goodness survived. It also will accelerate your soap, mine was close to seizing. I've though about using the infused oil as SF in HP, maybe that would help it survive better.

i use the infusion method as well and yes it moves fast almost to the point of wanting to seize, so i wisk some in the beginning and pulse to bring it all together just before pouring. the smell does not come through . and if you think lye destroy the properties then the same can be said for everything else [ that was a heavy debate around the time i started getting into soap making ] i agree HP may be the way to go if you trying to maintain the properties. frank&myrrh is one of my favorite soap.

Latest posts

Back