Older person soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt what you are saying and your opinions,advise and answers are inportant to us.
This is why I was thinking of using these two oils. I have skin trouble and I know that the the Vitamins and things in these are [FONT=&quot]excellent[/FONT] for skin.
Your further opinion is [FONT=&quot]appreciated.[/FONT]

Soap Making Characteristics: Canola Oil makes a great addition to your soap making oil collection. Aside from the obvious plus of being super inexpensive, it also produces a soap with a lovely dense, creamy lather.
It's light colour is very helpful when attempting to produce a white soap and it is slow to trace making it a good choice when using techniques like swirling.
You can replace up to 40% of the liquid oils in a recipe with Canola Oil though I prefer to keep it around the 20% range.

One of the more economical options, Sunflower Oil can be used to help reduce the cost of a batch of soap.
Being less expensive doesn't mean less worthy! This oil is chock full of good things like Vitamins A, B, D and E and is super high in Oleic acid which makes it moisturising and conditioning.
Soap Making Characteristics: Highly conditioning but is slow to saponify and will produce a soft bar. Best used as a supplementary oil in quantities of 5% - 15%. This oil would benefit by being kept in a cool, dark location and refrigerated upon opening.

Lee, what they are saying is to keep it simple. My first year and a half I researched all the oils listed in soapcalc that I thought I would ever use. I still have my flashcards..... I look back at my earlier recipes - I had one with 11 different oils!

If you note in the characteristics of your sunflower oil(which I love), and canola - they both are good subs for olive oil. As you go through your own testing, see if you can have some help and do some blind tests. I think you will be surprised

With the exception of salt bars, the only differences I was 100% correct on during my testing were with lanolin, lard and coconut milk/water in my soap. I couldn't even discriminate my butters. Now I did use the same colorants to prevent cheating, but I could smell the cocoa butter - unscented soaps.

By all means, try this recipe. I am happy that you know why you chose the oils that you did - some don't even go that far and they sell. Please let us know how your soap turns out.

"Sunflower Oil ... is super high in Oleic acid..."

This is true only if the sunflower is a high oleic version. HO sunflower is a substitute or alternative for olive oil.

Regular sunflower is high in linoleic acid. This version of sunflower is similar to canola.

So ... depending on the kind of sunflower you have, it has roughly the same properties as the olive or the canola in your recipe.

And I understand that you are trying to make the best soap possible. I do! I tried all those oils, I made many batches with 7 oils or so. I tried blind testing them on my family. Those oils did not impress anyone. The bar that everyone loved, from young to old, was the high lard bar. Don't believe me, though. You try it out on everyone in your family for yourself.

I wouldn't use anything for exfoliating except maybe colloidal oatmeal as an elderly persons skin is like paper. I've seen it tear just by someone touching it. IMO I would make a nice baby soap for them with a little coconut oil, butters and lots of olive oil

Their skin is not like paper. Paper is much more durable than elderly skin. Think wet tissue paper.[/QUOTE

Depending on how well hydrated they are their skin can be like copy paper to your wet tissue paper and any kind of paper can rip

Latest posts

Back