Old Timer Here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgranger

Reaction score
My avatar is a pic of my soaps circa 2008 and I've been soaping since 2004. I found this forum (I think I've seen it before on occasion) checking to see walnut oil properties in soap. I honestly bought this walnut oil from Soapers Choice more than 10 years ago and never used a lot of it. I made a new recipe with a lot of coconut oil and 25% walnut oil and hope to be able to try some shavings soon. I make 10+ pound batches as it's not worth cleaning the pots for anything smaller. and I have a great knack for creating new recipes that don't need much tweaking, if any. Happy to have (re) found you and have a bubbly day!

My avatar is a pic of my soaps circa 2008 and I've been soaping since 2004. I found this forum (I think I've seen it before on occasion) checking to see walnut oil properties in soap. I honestly bought this walnut oil from Soapers Choice more than 10 years ago and never used a lot of it. I made a new recipe with a lot of coconut oil and 25% walnut oil and hope to be able to try some shavings soon. I make 10+ pound batches as it's not worth cleaning the pots for anything smaller. and I have a great knack for creating new recipes that don't need much tweaking, if any. Happy to have (re) found you and have a bubbly day!

I wouldn't expect 10 year old walnut oil to still be good to use in soap...

but: Welcome!

Actually I have tested VERY old types of all kinds of oil and have had not issues with DOS or problems with the soap. It's all been fine.

A lot is going to depend on the oil and how it has been stored. I have Palm Oil...which is only supposed to have a one year shelf life, that I've had for over two years now. I bought a 35lb bucket, melted it down, put it into 1 gallon freezer bags, then put it back into the bucket in the back shelf of my garage.

When I first started having some problems with my soap about a month ago, I thought it was the PO. I have since determined that the issue has been all the rain we were, and still are having.

And welcome back.

I wouldn't expect 10 year old walnut oil to still be good to use in soap...

but: Welcome!
I have used several oils that were at least 10 yrs old I acquired from a soap destash a few yrs back which were never opened. They were fine and the soaps never went rancid. I even made some lotions with the Kernel oils with no issues.

Welcome lgranger. I would have used the oil too if it smelled fine.

I have used several oils that were at least 10 yrs old I acquired from a soap destash a few yrs back which were never opened. They were fine and the soaps never went rancid. I even made some lotions with the Kernel oils with no issues.

Welcome lgranger. I would have used the oil too if it smelled fine.
It's just wild to me that 10 year old opened walnut oil didn't go rancid...theoretically the shelf life of walnut oil is pretty short because of all of the PUFAs which are easily oxidized. Glad it worked out okay though.

It's just wild to me that 10 year old opened walnut oil didn't go rancid...theoretically the shelf life of walnut oil is pretty short because of all of the PUFAs which are easily oxidized. Glad it worked out okay though.
I'm guessing it was well-sealed with little to no oxygen in the bottle, and it was kept in a cool, dark location.

Welcome.gif

Back