Old Soap Recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've mentioned before that my mother used to make soap. She gave me some of her books once she'd stopped making it; at that time, I was experimenting a little with making soap but, at that time, there wasn't a lot of information available. Anyway, in one of the books was a plastic bag with numerous newspaper clippings. Most were about soap. In trying to figure out how old they were, I could only estimate. We left Winnipeg in 1966 and some of the clippings are from the Winnipeg Free Press. You do the math (yes, I'm old).

Interestingly, the majority of the recipes, including one from a cook book, borax and ammonia or bleach are included. Any thoughts on why they would have included ammonia?

Here's one of the recipes:
Here is a good soap recipe: 11 cups cold water; 9 cups lard; 1 tin lye; 1/2 cup javex. Mix all together for half an hour. Set aside and cut when ready into bars. Good luck.
Mrs. H.H. Fast
Waldheim, Saskatchewan​

And, just for fun, on the back of one of the clipped recipes was this little critique of Elvis: "Elvis is nothing but a knucklehead, hog caller, rat caller and gopher caller. Boy, if all the people in the world acted like him, the whole planet would be crazy. He sure likes to blow his lungs out."
Soap articles.jpg

DeeAnna explains in this thread about ammonia in soap recipes (see post #8).

Misschief said:
And, just for fun, on the back of one of the clipped recipes was this little critique of Elvis: "Elvis is nothing but a knucklehead, hog caller, rat caller and gopher caller. Boy, if all the people in the world acted like him, the whole planet would be crazy. He sure likes to blow his lungs out."

:lol:

IrishLass :)

Thanks Misschief, I love history like this. Oh, how things have changed. What a great find!

Mrs. H.H. Fast
Waldheim, Saskatchewan​

View attachment 35042

God. I miss the Prairies! Such common sense!

The copy of that old book was wonderful. On page 64 (with the soap recipe) was how to preserve eggs. Wow, that was interesting ! Any comments about that? :rolleyes:

Back