old soap bits

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandnew

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question but does anyone go to the trouble of rebatching old soap bits (for personal use of course!!) or are you not THAT 'attached' :lol: to your soaps?

do you just do a normal rebatch? There's no problem about mixing all the fragrances....do you get some interesting scents? :) After they're hard you can use them immediately can't you?

I have done this because I too hate to toss something that could be used a little longer (call me frugal not cheap). I have only rebatched them once, along with a bunch of soap trimmings, and didn't really know what I was doing. I ended up with something I referred to as "ugly soap" because they came out a brown color, lumpy and bumpy and sticky. They are almost 2 yrs old and still sticky but they make wonderful bubbles and actually last a lot longer than I thought they would. I would say they don't really have a scent. I think I added way too much liquid when I melted them down.

thanks, I think I'll give it a try at least once! Just to see...it's all part of the experience isn't it? Happy Soaping!! :D

Doing rebatches can be a little tricky for a new soap maker. I have always rebatched my left over bars and trimmings but learned that it took a few times to get the hang of it. There are a lot of posts on this forum and some tutorials on other forums (some are mine…lol), about rebatching soap trimming, shreds, scraps and the like.
Most serious soap makers that sell their soaps never fiddle with rebatching and understandably so…
I think the main focus on doing a rebatch is not to add to much liquid. This will cause the finished bars to have a tendency to “shrink” when fully dried. Its best to query this forum first to get all the tips on what will make your rebatch bars turn out the best they can…e.g., using liquid milk instead of water, using powdered milk as an additive .
Rebatched soap by can be colored but most of the time you won’t get the true color you want because the base soap in a conglomeration of different colored soaps and scents. I color my rebatch soap with McCormicks red food coloring cuz it’s cheap and I use scents that don’t contain vanilla or vanillin which will tend to turn any soap tan light brown to brown.
I only use my rebatch soap for myself and family, although I have had friends beg off a half dozen bars on occasion because it’s really bubbly and is excellent hand soap.
Well, this is my 2 cents worth and I thought I’d share ….
Jerry :)

I don't rebatch soap bits. I put them in an organza bag and use it in the shower. I like using the organza bag because it's slightly exfoliating and increases the lather.

that's a good idea Hazel! And Jerry I also read somewhere that a woman found rebatching with milk helped the soap more manageable! But doesn't the food colouring bleed? esp. red?!? :shock:

I've rebatched soap which is less than a week old without adding more liquid. I cut the loaf up into small chunks and put them in a double boiler. I used medium heat and let it sit on the burner until the soap looks translucent. Then I carefully stir to make sure all the soap has cooked and if it has then I smooth it into a mold. The cover on the double boiler keeps the moisture in and this way has always worked great for me.

However, you probably would have to add a little more liquid if the soap has been cured. I'm glad brandnew mentioned using milk. I think milk would work for rebatching because of the sugars in the milk but this is just my opinion about the sugar. BTW, I love buttermilk in soap. :wink: I haven't tried it because I haven't had to add additional liquid. On Kathy Miller's site, she mentioned adding a little sugar to HP to help keep the soap more fluid. (I think it was Kathy Miller's tip.) You could try dissolving some sugar into water and then adding a little in at a time. I don't remember the exact amount recommended for rebatching - maybe try a tablespoon or so to start. There has been discussions about rebatching on the forum. Here's a link to where pure&simple posted her rebatch method which I thought was very helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28489

Also, David Fisher on About.com wrote an article about rebatching. How to Rebatch Soap

This is just a suggestion but if you could use sodium lactate for the liquid if you have it. It helps to make soap more fluid.

Brandnew, I’ve used food coloring on a number of occasions with really nice results although for the pro’s out there, it’s probably taboo…lol.
I don’t use a whole lot of red food coloring in my soap. Mostly when I do a CP or HP I’ll use just enough to make my bars pink, which I really like. I haven’t had a problem with the color bleeding. I don’t use a lot of fragrance either, just enough to give my soap a nice touch of scent…but then that’s probably a guy thing. :)
jerry

well jerry...now I'll have to give it a go at least once to satisfy my curiosity!! :wink: and yeah...I guess subtlety can be a 'guy thing'! :lol:

Jerry S said:
, I’ve used food coloring on a number of occasions with really nice results although for the pro’s out there, it’s probably taboo…lol.

It's not taboo. It's just food coloring isn't stable in soap because of the high pH. It tends to morph or fade over time.

not that attached? Hah!... i just posted a question about a meat grinder to grind it all up. call me crazy, lol...

brandnew said:
does it actually affect the PH of the soap itself?

I doubt it since food coloring is mainly corn syrup (or possibly sugar). Any other ingredients like colorants, thickener and preservative would be so minimal it wouldn't effect the batch. Also, you don't use a lot. It just isn't manufactured as a soap colorant. However, I can understand why red food coloring might hold up in soap. I believe cochineal is used as the colorant in it ( but maybe not in all brands).

Cochineal is also used in cosmetics and does color soap pink. Cochineal Soap

alabama49 said:
Aren't those little beetles?

Yes they are. That's where we get carmine from.

Also, If you're just using the regular food coloring from McCormick the ingredients are water, propylene glycol, propylparaben and whatever FD&C colorant.

Ever since I learned that most of the red coloring in our food stuff comes from bugs, I can hardly eat anything with red/pink, etc. in it!!

Back