Old post question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary Ruth

Reaction score
I am wondering if this site is under new management. I was trying to read comments about dog shampoo (and horse). I read a comment that “this is an old post ... “ To my thinking, old posts are still relevant. Since I’ve been making soap, I’ve not had the privilege to have a companion animal. Since I’ve started making soap, my brother HAS and DOES have one. He asked me to make soap for Aaron. This post interested me very much. But I saw a comment saying “this is a very old post”. To me, it’s more relevant now than when it was posted. Are we not allowed to comment on “old posts”? I would think new comers have the same questions and mostly the same interests as were addressed in older posts.

It’s called necroposting, and not encouraged. Many of the people are no longer subscribers or not as active on the forum.

They’re great for initial information and initial research into stuff like dog shampoo. If you have a question, it’s best to start a new thread to get an answer or direction for the answer you seek.

I am wondering if this site is under new management. I was trying to read comments about dog shampoo (and horse). I read a comment that “this is an old post ... “ To my thinking, old posts are still relevant. Since I’ve been making soap, I’ve not had the privilege to have a companion animal. Since I’ve started making soap, my brother HAS and DOES have one. He asked me to make soap for Aaron. This post interested me very much. But I saw a comment saying “this is a very old post”. To me, it’s more relevant now than when it was posted. Are we not allowed to comment on “old posts”? I would think new comers have the same questions and mostly the same interests as were addressed in older posts.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum:

This may be helpful.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-culture-and-tone.56833/

You are free to start a new thread and link to an old one. The problem with brining up old threads is much of the time the posters are no longer here.

If you want to keep an eye on the thread for future reference, at the top of the thread there is a watch thread button and you can find it that way.

Welcome, Mary Ruth! :) Commenting on old posts (necroposting) is allowed/not forbidden here at SMF, but it's become such a 'sticky issue' amongst membership on message boards across the web (not just here, but many other forums)....that we went ahead and made a few official comments about it in the forum rules section in post #2 of ourForum Culture and Tone thread here, because even though SMF management allows it, many in the community.... but certainly not all.... do tend to frown upon it because so many of the folks who originally posted in the old thread are no longer active members. Post #2 in the above link will give you some helpful guidelines about when and/or when it's best not to necropost, but to start a new thread with your questions. Hope that helps!

IrishLass :)

Edited to add.... Shari beat me to it! lol

Thank you for your response. I guess I didn’t understand it would be a problem for anyone to comment on an old post. So often there is information there and less experienced people just don’t understand/have yet. Everything (nearly) is researchable, except experience. I find I learn A LOT from others experience. LOL I’ve made enough soap (HP, CP, HPLS, and CPLS) I’ve experienced most of what can happen, but I’m always curious how our soaps effects our pets. I had no idea this was an issue about old posts. I am on FB groups though, and yes, the old questions about the process, what works/doesn’t work, etc - from new soapers does get very old. I’ve learned to condense my answers to them. BUT, we were all new once.

It is better to start a new thread with a link to the old post than to post on a thread that has been idle for a long period of time.
That way the origin of the information is still there but folks are less likely to have hurt feelings if someone that is no longer with us does not reply to a question.

I remember very fondly Gentleman Jim, kchaystack and several others that were here when I joined - but do not expect them to reply to any questions.
A newer member would not have that information.

Back