old essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
I just found some little bottles of essential oils from when I started making soap, the best before dates are all just passing/passed now in 2022, but it feels like such a waste to just throw them away - most of them have been half used, they smell fine, the citrus ones are maybe a little weaker - does anyone have any suggestions? I have so much soap already I don’t know if I want to use it to make more! Any non soap ideas appreciated, if they’re still even okay to use, they smell absolutely fine so I don’t see why they wouldn’t be good still!

I agree. I have used these many times and they performed well. Perhaps it would be different for the full therapeutic effect but if that's not what you're after, they are fine to use.

They are fine to use. If they were kept in the dark and away from heat, stored properly, and they were not cut with anything else they should be good indefinitely. They found essential oils in excellent condition in King Tut's tomb. Of course nowadays with technology who knows what is mixed in with them that might not age so well. In that case I would only use them in soap, a wash off product.

Back