Old essential oil usage question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was very lucky to be gifted a great assortment of essential oils from a friend who no longer uses them. They're several years old, and I notice the scent of many of them is milder than the same newer ones I have. Since the scent is weaker, can I increase the usage to compensate, or does the usage rate remain the same no matter what?

Thanks, @Zany_in_CO . That post is helpful info for testing the fragrance strength. I know for sure the scent is milder in some of the old EOs. I'm wanting to know if I can use a higher percentage of the EO to compensate, or does the usage rate remain the same no matter what?

I'm wanting to know if I can use a higher percentage of the EO to compensate, or does the usage rate remain the same no matter what?
Same ole answer... "it depends". :videovisit: Each and every essential oil has a chemical make up that differs from one to the other that has to be taken into consideration for the product you're making. Over time, you learn which ones are GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and be more confident about increasing the usage rate.

Thanks again, @Zany_in_CO . I chuckled reading your reply, remembering when I used to supervise a team of counselors who often came to me for answers and left frustrated because the answer so often was "it depends."
Yep, my gift is definitely a mixed blessing. I'll experiment and see which ones still work well and which need retirement.

Thanks again, @Zany_in_CO . I chuckled reading your reply, remembering when I used to supervise a team of counselors who often came to me for answers and left frustrated because the answer so often was "it depends."
Yep, my gift is definitely a mixed blessing. I'll experiment and see which ones still work well and which need retirement.
Even if the oils are past their date could they still be usable for personal items such as pot pourri, or a spray for around the house, or even mixed with homemade laundry soap? On dryer laundry balls? Drawer scenting? Can you tell by my comment I am a bit thrifty? :)

@bwtapestry I agree with all of the above suggestions you made. Where it gets a little dicey is use for products that come in contact with skin, hair, etc., as some oxidized EOs can have reduced skin-safe usage. The EO safety expert, Robert Tisserand, offers a webinar on this topic, should you care to spend $39USD to learn more. ;)

Last edited:
@bwtapestry I agree with all of the above suggestions you made. Where it gets a little dicey is use for products that come in contact with skin, hair, etc., as some oxidized EOs can have reduced skin-safe usage. The EO safety expert, Robert Tisserand, offers a webinar on this topic, should you care to spend $39USD to learn more. ;)
@AliOop This is very interesting and makes perfect sense about oxidation of the oils. I realized that "when making perfumes" there are essential oils that get better with age but only when used for perfumes and only the "base" oils seem to improve with age. Different topic however.

Do you know how the EOs were stored? If they were stored in the refrigerator or otherwise kept cool and they look and smell fine, I would probably use them, but I would not go above the current recommended IFRA safe usage percentages. According to the New Directions website here quite a few EOs can be held for years if they are stored in optimal conditions.

Do you know how the EOs were stored? If they were stored in the refrigerator or otherwise kept cool and they look and smell fine, I would probably use them, but I would not go above the current recommended IFRA safe usage percentages. According to the New Directions website here quite a few EOs can be held for years if they are stored in optimal conditions.
The EOs I received were stored in a heated/air conditioned cabinet away from light. All are in original bottles, and many had never been opened and those that had been are almost full. I've used a few already, and they seem fine. Only the citrus smell milder than my new ones.

Here's a good article I found on EO shelf life: https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essentialoilshelflife.asp

@AliOop This is very interesting and makes perfect sense about oxidation of the oils. I realized that "when making perfumes" there are essential oils that get better with age but only when used for perfumes and only the "base" oils seem to improve with age. Different topic however.
Yes, my understanding is that the alcohol content and other constituents of perfume has an effect on the stability of the entire mix, as well as storage conditions, exposure to air, etc., as @Mobjack Bay said. :)

Last edited:
The EOs I received were stored in a heated/air conditioned cabinet away from light. All are in original bottles, and many had never been opened and those that had been are almost full. I've used a few already, and they seem fine. Only the citrus smell milder than my new ones.

Here's a good article I found on EO shelf life: https://www.aromaweb.com/articles/essentialoilshelflife.asp
The information on the two sites is consistent, yay. Sounds like you had an eo windfall. 👏🏻

Back