Old English Christmas Wassail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlchemyandAshes

Reaction score
While making my Christmas soaps, it reminded me to get my ingredients ready for my annual Wassail recipe, which I thought I'd share with you guys since it is a big hit with my friends and family.
If you're not sure about "Wassail", here's a little explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassail

This is a huge batch that makes about 15-20 quarts (I used mason jars), but can easily be cut in half and can be made non-alcoholic. For this (for my grandparents), I just pour off a couple quarts before adding the wine.

Get out your biggest stock pot and a big wooden spoon!

OLD ENGLISH CHRISTMAS WASSAIL

3 Gallons Apple Cider (not apple juice)
2 Liters Red Wine - the sweeter the better (You can substitute whiskey or brandy to taste, but I prefer the wine)
6 Oranges
6 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
1/4 oz Whole Cloves
2 Whole Nutmeg Seeds
2.5 cups Brown Sugar (or 1.5 cups Honey)
1/4 cup Crystallized/Candied Ginger

In a large stock pot, heat the Apple Cider on low-medium heat. DO NOT BOIL!!!
Score the Oranges, give 'em a good squeeze over the pot, and add the whole orange to the pot
Add Cinnamon Sticks, Cloves, Nutmeg, and Ginger
Add Brown Sugar (or honey), give a good stir
Simmer over low-medium heat for 2 hours
Stir every 30 minutes or so to make sure the brown sugar or honey dissolves completely and that there are no lumps

For non-alcoholic Wassail, simmer for an additional hour, strain and pour the above mixture into quart jars.

For alchoholic Wassail, after the 2 hour simmer, add 2 liters sweet red wine (or your liquor of choice) to the pot and simmer for an additional hour (3 hours total), strain, and pour into quart jars.

You can also use a huge punch bowl or copper pot and serve it warm with all the oranges floating on top.

Here's a picture of it in the pot:
[attachment=1:2ja81pmy]Wassail 2011_2.jpg[/attachment:2ja81pmy]

Here's a picture of my Wassail gifts last Christmas:
[attachment=0:2ja81pmy]Wassail 2011.jpg[/attachment:2ja81pmy]

I attached a card with lyrics from Faith & the Muse "A Winter Wassail" (which is a rendition of a traditional wassailing song):
Wassail Wassail; All merit good cheer
We wish thee dear faithful a wondrous New Year
Our fine bowl is made of the white maple tree
With the Wassailing bowl we honor thee
So here by the fire good spirits renewed
We wish thee dear faithful: thy dreams may come true

Attachments

• Wassail 2011_2.jpg
    Wassail 2011_2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Wassail 2011.jpg
    Wassail 2011.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 370
Ooooh, homemade apple wine would be awesome in Wassail! Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it!

Oh I will. I bottled my wine about a month ago, It will be a bit 'young' come christmas, I may have to make an exception and break open a bottle for this recipe. i think it will be ok because its being mulled.

Made the Wassail, And it was awesome!
I used white grape juice instead of cider, and my homemade apple wine. I'm thinking about throwing some dried cranberries in next time.... I strained it and put it in the fridge. How long does it last in there?

Ooooh, grape juice...not traditional, but probably tastes awesome!
I never have much left over after Christmas, so not real sure how long it will last refrigerated, but I'm assuming it would last a little longer than regular juice with the added alcohol?

Latest posts

Back