OKI Vegetable Oil - Palm Shortening?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
I have ordered 1kg of this hydrogenated palm oil to try with soap dough and maybe frosting. It hasn't arrived yet but I'm wondering how to input it into soapcalc. The only option I see is Crisco (new). We don't have Crisco in Aust (except in specialty shops) and this looks like it could be useful.

15kg_block_of_palm_oil_27_March_large.jpg

'This oil Aka "palm shortening" is manufactured for the food industry. It has two stabilising agents added to it antioxidant E321 and antifoam 900.'

'Our palm is from sustainable sources (RSPO certified)
Primary use is it makes for a hard, longer lasting SOAP bar.
Fatty Acids

Linoleic acid 9-11,
Oleic acid 38-40,
Palmitic acid 43-45,
Stearic acid 45,
Iodine value 45-57.'

Thanks

If it wasn't for the 'Stearic acid 45' I'd say just plug it in as palm oil, but palm oil is 5% stearic, so that's a shocker. Unless you made a typo. If you did and the Stearic is 4-5, then I'd simply use the Palm Oil selection.

I have used palm shortening (Spectrum brand in the US) and in the soap calculator I selected 'palm oil.'

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the 'Stearic acid 45' I'd say just plug it in as palm oil, but palm oil is 5% stearic, so that's a shocker. Unless you made a typo. If you did and the Stearic is 4-5, then I'd simply use the Palm Oil selection.

I have used palm shortening (Spectrum brand in the US) and in the soap calculator I selected 'palm oil.'

Thank you for your help I copied and pasted the values so I will check with the distributor and see.

Latest posts

Back