ok, what exactly is RTCP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupcakeKisses

Reaction score
I get that it is room temp cold process, but how is it different? do you cool it down more? or not heat at all?

I'm a newbie to soapmaking, have about 12 batches under my belt. I tried Paul's RTCP method for the first time yesterday, and like it and the way the soap came out.

Here's a link to Paul's tutorial on RTCP.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3165

I think, just from reading on forums, that apparently there's another RTCP method where you use your hot(?) lye solution to melt your fats. But I am not familiar with that method at all.

Room temp means you allow the heat from the just mixed lye solution to melt the oils and butters. I do it with every single batch and love love love it. I don't always do the cold process portion of the rtcp sometimes I put my soap in the oven. Room Temp soaping is awesome.

I have formulated a different version of RTCP. :) There are many posts you can look up here, one I detailed my process step-by-step, the link Godiva quoted. I master-batch my recipe and leave at room temperature. I mix up a 50% lye solution, also keep it at room temperature. I make soap with all ingredients, even goat milk, at room temperature. Paul's version of RTCP as many here have grown to like it. :wink: I have been doing it this way for over a year now.

Paul

CupcakeKisses said:
I get that it is room temp cold process, but how is it different? do you cool it down more? or not heat at all?

Like I said, I'm a newbie - this is my understanding of CP vs RTCP.

The way I did CP, was made my lye solution and put it in a water bath with ice. While that was cooling down, I would measure out my oils, FO, colors ready. Then when my lye was around 130, I would melt my hard fats. Then wait till lye was around 110 and add my liquid oils to my melted fats, and hopefully both would be around 100 - 110. Then I would mix my lye solution in the oils and finish making the soap.

With Paul's RTCP, I made my lye solution, set it aside. I then melted my fats, added my oils, and set that aside. Let it sit overnight and made soap the next day - no warming up of oils or lye. I thought this method was easier - no trying to coordinate the temperatures. And I like the way the soap turned out.

Latest posts

Back