Ok, I know you have all had this question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly princess

Reaction score
I would like to know exactly what I will need to start making melt and pour soap? Please don't flame me. I tried to find it on the forum list but I gave up.

Thanks,
Carrie

Hi, are you talking about making the gyclerin soap to then make melt and pour, or just to buy premade melt and pour to add fragrance, colour ect?

If it's the premade stuff you're looking for, simply buy a non-fragranced glycerin soap and melt it down or Look on ebay, for larger amounts.

Melt and pour can be as easy as going to your local Michaels or JoAnn Etc. store and buying the base (clear or white), color, fragrance, additives (if desired), and molds. It's a little pricier than buying on the internet, but instant gratification. You just need a bowl or measuring cup to melt the base down in.

thanks

I just took my lunch and went to Michaels and bought some stuff. i am very excited about getting started. Maybe once I get comfortable making the soaps, I will order from the internet. Michaels and JoAnn's both have very small sections, and no books on the subject.

Marie Browning has a few wonderful books on melt and pour soapmaking. Also, you can find a lot of info on the internet. There are truly some MP artists out there. I just don't have the patience.

Check amazon for the books. She has lots of ideas. Or try your local library for books!

Good luck!

PS - My favorite molds when I did MP were pringles cans! Just peel away when set and throw away. Worked great for embedding whole loofah also.

WHEEEEEE

I made one mold (3 soaps) of melt and pour last night! HOLY CRAP that is easy and fun! I was a little afraid of the scent, so I only put a little in it. Now I will know for next time (tonight) to put more in it. My mom and girlfriend want some already! The hubby thought I was on drugs until he saw the finished product! HA I SHOWED HIM!!! now I will never buy product at Michaels, I spent $9 for 1lb of mp soap. I found a ton of deals on ebay! WATCH OUT WORLD DRAGONFLY IS MAKIN SOAP!!

No kiddin! I am so excited. My husband asked if I was going to become a "soap queen" hahahahaha I might just do that! :lol:

Hey I was wondering if anyone has experimented with food coloring in their soap? Just curious how it turned out

Soapmakers have tried just about everything. You should wait for someone else to chime in as I am not a MP'er, but I'm pretty sure you can use food coloring. I wouldn't sell it, but just to use for friends and family, I'm sure it's fine.

Well the soap really looks pretty with the candy color in it :D

I am going to use a bar before I attempt to give the rest to anyone.

Hey do you write your recipes down or do you just make every batch from memory? I only ask because I am a cook, and I never measure anything and I don't use recipes...

Heck ya, food coloring is great in M&P. If you use too much though, at some point it starts getting cloudy & not just darker.

I've heard that using food coloring is actually not good for that. Use liquid colorants. Or you could also use powdered herbs for color

Back