Ok...almost ready to order...need a little help.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
Alright Im about to start ordering some soap supplies need some advice on if this is too much or over the top etc...

My goals:

Make CP soaps with all natural ingredients (no synthetics etc)
Make some lip balms
Make some shaving creams/gels
other types of creams...

I have beeswax already for that. and i have a lot of canola oil still as well.

what im looking to do is develop 3 base recipes (one for each age group?) for soaping, and then do scents and different asthetics stuff with each bar for looks but first and foremost i want to have a few good base recipes, ive been wanting to experiment with alot of different oils so I really need to have them on hand to do that:)

ok the list thus far:

Oils:

Babassu, coconut, castor, almond, avocado, hempseed, jojoba, olive, maybe palm but i dont like the eco-impact of it...

any you think i should add to that?/ wheat germ or others?

then butters:

avodaco, aloe, shea and cocoa

glycerine

vitamin E

some EOs and other herbal additives (the list is soooo long!) i think ill start with lavendar, and a few others...got to get a list together for that...i also want to buy those menthol crystal things and try to make my own tiger balm type stuff :)

heeeelp! Thank you!

what do you think??

help...

have you already decided on each of you receipes? i would suggest starting out small, instead of the shotgun effect. it's easier to work with one thing at a time because until you wade-in, you have no idea which direction it will take you.

i just posted in the lotion/skincare section one of my favorite receipes #1. you may wish to look this up.

i just dont want you to waste a lot of time and money going in 6 different directions.

my grandma used to say "you can do one thing well or two things half as well.

perhaps i can help with other receipes if you like.

regards,

monet

Wow! Did you hit the lottery? Tell me the exact date and coordinates of your place and when this order is due. I just want to inventory it for you. :wink: That is quite an impressive list.

I did not see olive oil, but I think you everything else in the book. I am finding that I like kokum butter alot. A bit less greasy in body butters, especially for summer. Perhaps a bit Dry flo.

Maybe a bit of kaolin clay or some other one for shaving soaps to give a bit of slip. And you must have silk. Talk to Paul, he has the nicest I have seen.

Digit

Congrats IanI! :D

I think you have a very good list here. You should include some charcoal in your soaps. I use activated charcoals bought from health food store. Charcoal has an ability to absorb toxins from the body.

I am also working on a good base recipe too. Also agree with you about wanting an alternative to palm oil. It's so sad that they have to destroy more rainforests in Asia, for the big demand of palm oils. :cry:

I also bought some menthol oil and hope to make some tiger balm type stuff too, but have not had the chance yet. So let me know how that goes for you. Good luck!

Those are some pretty snazzy soap oils there Ian. :) Looks like you have a plan, Stan. I have my favorite recipe that has good amount of oleic as well as linoleic acids for both younger and mature skin. It has taken me 4 years experimenting, tweaking, trying different oils, trying to use lesser expensive, yet high conditioning value, and I finally have it right! You will find that perfect recipe for you, too.

Paul

Hey there! What a list. If you have the funds... add honey, goats milk, rose hip seed oil, mango butter, coconut creme, cow creme, liquid lecithin, papaya fruit and juice, yogurt, and silk. These are all great additions and give you plenty of combos to play around with! Happy soaping! Don't forget to add plenty of pics!

Black soap n candle lady said:
Hey there! What a list. If you have the funds... add honey, goats milk, rose hip seed oil, mango butter, coconut creme, cow creme, liquid lecithin, papaya fruit and juice, yogurt, and silk. These are all great additions and give you plenty of combos to play around with! Happy soaping! Don't forget to add plenty of pics!

Omg I m going to go broke lol

The list will keep getting longer im telling you!!!

sorry for my absence ...been a little bit since ive been on the internet. But no I dont have a recipe per se...I have a million recipe(S!!!) that I need to try and these were most of the elements in them. soo many choices! I appreciate everyones input too! :) ok going to do some thinking! digit you have a pm :)

I have a recipe I love that I created that has no palm or palm kernal. I feel the same about the deforestation movement and want to do my part. I will give this to you with percents that way you can size it to your liking. This makes a nice hard and lathery bar and the shea and avocado help to add nice conditioning, and if you care about the INS value this is a perfect 160.

Olive Oil not pomace 17.5%
Avocado Oil 12.5%
Soybean Oil(I use Wesson vegatable oil) 11.25%
Canola 11.25%
Castor Oil 2.5%
Coconut Oil(76 degree) 42.5%
Shea Butter 2.5%

You could probably alter easily to use all soybean or all canola using a calculator to check your lye and water. I just have alot of canola and soybean so I use both.

For a 40 ounce (total of oils) batch water is 15.2 oz and lye is 5.7oz
For a 70 oz water is 26.6 an 10oz of lye

Good Luck! I have been soaping since April and I am completley hooked. I dream about making soap.

robindeb said:
I have a recipe I love that I created that has no palm or palm kernal. I feel the same about the deforestation movement and want to do my part. I will give this to you with percents that way you can size it to your liking. This makes a nice hard and lathery bar and the shea and avocado help to add nice conditioning, and if you care about the INS value this is a perfect 160.

Olive Oil not pomace 17.5%
Avocado Oil 12.5%
Soybean Oil(I use Wesson vegatable oil) 11.25%
Canola 11.25%
Castor Oil 2.5%
Coconut Oil(76 degree) 42.5%
Shea Butter 2.5%

You could probably alter easily to use all soybean or all canola using a calculator to check your lye and water. I just have alot of canola and soybean so I use both.

For a 40 ounce (total of oils) batch water is 15.2 oz and lye is 5.7oz
For a 70 oz water is 26.6 an 10oz of lye

Good Luck! I have been soaping since April and I am completley hooked. I dream about making soap.

thanks so much for that recipe!! I will have to try it sometime! Ive been experimenting with trying many different bars (not that I made) and I definitely want to make something with shea and avocado in it!.. this looks like a great recipe! thanks again!!

Back