Oily Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently made a batch of soap and I noticed some of my lye had harden at the bottom of my container causing a lye shortage. The soap did saponify but it is really oily and soft because there wasn’t enough lye for all of the oil.

I took it out of the mold and cut it and I am hoping that the extra oils will reabsorb as the soap cures.

has anyone experienced anything life this before? Will the oils cause the soap to go rancid ?

It sounds like your lye collected moisture. My advise is to pour the lye in your sink drain and flush it down with water. Buy new lye. I store my lye containers in gallon plastic zipper bags.

It sounds like your lye collected moisture. My advise is to pour the lye in your sink drain and flush it down with water. Buy new lye. I store my lye containers in gallon plastic zipper bags.
The lye got hard in my lye water solution not in the container that I store it in. Maybe I didn't mix it enough after pouring it into the water

The lye got hard in my lye water solution not in the container that I store it in. Maybe I didn't mix it enough after pouring it into the water
Yes, you must mix it up until it is thoroughly dissolved. It is likely that your soap will stay soft for some time while it cures. It's too hard to know how much of your lye was lost, but depending on that - your soap may never harden enough and may well develop DOS if there is a lot of superfat as a result of the lye shortage.

Latest posts

Back