Oily soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendigirl

Reaction score
I know- too early in my soap making journey to try, but I couldn’t help myself. It was calling my name.

I’ve only made simple recipes so far.

Saw a video with a soap maker pouring alternating colours over an inverted glass ( sorry, don’t know what the technique is called)

My mixing temp. 120

I hand stirred, short bursts with stick blender. Repeated.

No oil on the top of the batter. 99% sure it was emulsified.

Poured batter into premixed micas and gave a short slick blend

My batter was a little thicker than in the video , but still

Pourable ( I was afraid of not reaching trace)

Coloured batter remained thin until the 10th or 11th pour- then started to get thicken and got a little lumpy.

I used a freezer paper lined box.
Insulated.
If you look at the right hand side of my pic, you
can see the oil on my paper
What could cause this???
Does it mean some of my lye didn’t mix with the oils and the soap will be lye heavy? Did I not blend long enough?
Confession: I didn’t let it sit overnight. I was too anxious to see how it turned out ( I unmolded after about 9 hrs)
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Ps. Checked soap this morning. Didn’t seem to be
B6E677F6-78B7-437D-9B91-9A0E1C89C2A5.png
BBA70164-FBB8-469B-BE38-322F485C3600.jpeg
DDE63595-85C3-4C61-ABDF-5E12520A24C3.jpeg
as oily.

I've often gotten oily paper like that. I don't know if its the superfat or if the soap got a little too warm and some oil leaked out.
Its never affected my soap, its not something I would ever worry about.

The technique is called a column pour.

I've had this happen with different qualities of freezer paper. Also, do you have the shiny side of the paper towards the soap? That will affect the paper absorbing free oils.

Yes, shiny side is towards the soap. Soap is no longer oily. I probably unmolded too soon. Thanks

That's normal in my experience. My only recommendation is that you've got a lot going on in your recipe. I don't use any oil/butter less than 10% except Castor oil and I use 5-7% Otherwise it's not likely to add much to you mix and just more complicated and easier to forget something. Just my thought from experience. Your soap turned out nicely.

Thank you. Will take your advice on the butters. No sense in waisting them. I just thought a little might bring something to the soap. Rather expensive in my area.

Back