Oily Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggy

Reaction score
HI ,

Sometimes my soaps have an oily film after it has molded. I obviously am putting too much oil in it .... Is there a way to dry out the oil on the top of the soap so it does not go to waste? :roll:
Buggy

Sometimes you can blot it off and it's ok after curing. You can also rebatch. This isn't normal though, for the layer of oil. A properly measured recipe will not do this. Did you mismeasure your FO, base oils, or lye?

I also have one fragrance oil that does this every time I use it. Give it a few days and it might be fine. :)

Every once in a while this happens to me. Since I basically use the same recipe each time, I suspect it is the FO. If I add the FO at trace it is more likely to happen. I think I am not getting the FO incorporated into the mixture well enough before I pour. Sometimes I have to move quickly at this point and don't have the time to SB really well. Every time it happens, I gnash my teeth...but I just let the soap sit, uncut, on the cure rack for a few days....sure enough, the oil gets absorbed back into the fresh soap. Once it took almost a week! That is my strongest smelling soap. Made in Feb, and my whole bathroom smells like it from just a little sliver left. I must have used too much FO!!! This oil on top stuff has never happened to me with unscented soap or soap scented with EO but I have not had a lot of experience yet with EOs. Just let it be....and see if the soap sucks it back in!!

Every once in a while this happens to me. Since I basically use the same recipe each time, I suspect it is the FO. If I add the FO at trace it is more likely to happen. I think I am not getting the FO incorporated into the mixture well enough before I pour. Sometimes I have to move quickly at this point and don't have the time to SB really well. Every time it happens, I gnash my teeth...but I just let the soap sit, uncut, on the cure rack for a few days....sure enough, the oil gets absorbed back into the fresh soap. Once it took almost a week! That is my strongest smelling soap. Made in Feb, and my whole bathroom smells like it from just a little sliver left. I must have used too much FO!!! This oil on top stuff has never happened to me with unscented soap or soap scented with EO but I have not had a lot of experience yet with EOs. Just let it be....and see if the soap sucks it back in!!

I get an oily layer that lasts about 48 hours when I make rosemary & mint with ground loofah, happens every time.

Ugly as sin when it oozes slime grossness, but it goes away.

Back