oily soap questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliani

Reaction score
Ok, so my first 4 batches of CP soap worked so wonderfully it was time I screwed up. :D

Using Soapcalc9, 3lb oils, 33% water, 5% super fat/discount

Almond 23% (313g)
Palm Kernel 18% (244.9g)
Olive 20% (272.2g)
Coconut (76 deg) 20% (272.2g)
Castor 9% (122.5g)
Palm 10% (136.1g)

449g carrot juice (instead of water) & 198g lye.

At trace 3T finely ground (as juiceless as humanly possible) carrot & 3T honey.

But I ran out of almond oil! I had 251g. So I did a quick recalc (via Soapcalc9) since I had *everything* else already measured and came up with:

Almond 19% (258.5g)
Jojoba 4% (54.4g)
(all other oils remained the same).

Lye requirements went down to 194g but since I knew this was already superfatted and that's a difference of .13oz I thought it might be ok (plus I knew I'd messed up a couple of oil measurements by a teeny amount), but I'd watch for "lye pockets."

Measuring mistakes: 55g jojoba (1/2 gram more than required), 274g olive (1.5g more than req'd), 251g almond (7g less than req'd).

Did the whole CP process, placed molded soap in 170 deg oven for 2 hours, turned off heat and left overnight (ended up being 16 hours total since I slept in! :D)

Instead of lye pockets I have oily soap! The ground carrot (I used a micro-plane so I'm pretty sure it's fine enough) turned deep brown, there were bumps on the soap surface I'd originally thought were due to the carrot but a scrape reveals they're teeny batches of a foam-like substance. Slicing the soap brought oil to the surface of cut sides - not much, but there. Tongue test is soapy, no tingle.

Is there a chance this oil will reabsorb? It's not pooling or anything, just a slick sheen.

If it's not usable in this state, can it be rebatched?

TIA!!

~Lori

uh-oh

Scraping one of the little bumps (they're maybe the size of poppy seeds) with foam and tongue testing that may have caused a tingle.

Fooey. :?

Latest posts

Back