Oil's /you/ think are 'must have'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalisk

Reaction score
For whatever reason!

Be it to experiment with, or because you use them in almost everything.

I have already found I will likely be working with Palm and Olive frequently, thankfully they are decently available around here.

What are some of your favorites that you use often, and why? :)

The reason I ask is I love to experiment, and see how things come out. I know I could look around on the net for 'tried and true' soap recipes, and I am sure I will use them at times when I do more. But you never know when you could find somthing great by pure experimentation :)

Olive, Coconut, Palm/Lard make up the bulk of mine. Then I try out others and sometimes need others, for example my Pumpkin Seed Oil soap was a little low on bubbles, so I put some castor in there with it, to help. In a normal soap, I tend not to worry with Castor.

Have a good look through the list of oils in SoapCalc and see what jumps out at you as being of interest, look at the values and think if it is worth it - I have some Walnut Oil to try out one day, too :)

The numbers game is one I apparently still suck at, but im getting better. It seems Olive, Coconut and Palm are the huge ones for most. I was looking at pumpkin just today because I am thinking (way) ahead for November soaps, and I was going to tinker with it, and try to make a pumpkin soap, maybe try out some pumpkin seed husks (Dried and finely ground) as a exfoliant :)

Look out though, as many "Pumpkin Soap" recipes use the puree as a water replacement, rather than using the seed oil. The oil itself can be rather expensive, especially outside of places like Austria and Switzerland. Even here, for a quality one, you can expect to pay 30€ a litre! Mine was much cheaper than that, I have to say.

My basics are Olive, coconut and castor. My favorite "fancy fats" so far are sweet almond oil, hemp oil and shea.
Im kind of meh on palm, and with the controversy on it right now its no hardship not to use it. Just tried my first lard batch so that may turn out to be my new other other favorite.

My three absolutely must have are olive, coconut, and castor. However, I feel a little lost when I don't have sweet almond oil, avocado, and sunflower oil. Mango butter is right up there too. And I just made my first lard soap yesterday and have a feeling that may also be added to the "must have" list...

My must have for CP: olive, palm, coconut, castor & Shea butter. However, from time to time, I like to add apricot kernel, sweet almond, avocado, grape seed or/and sunflower oils depending on the skin type soap I am making.

olive, coconut, palm, castor and whatever butter I happen to have on hand. I like kokum and cocoa best. Not a fan of shea. I LOVE virgin avocado oil when I want to treat myself (and feel like having green soap on hand).

Latest posts

Back