Oils to refrigerate?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
I am refrigerating my shea butter and my hemp oil. Should I also be refrigerating the avocado oil and rice bran oils? I only purchase the 7 lb jug from Soapers Choice, so I don't have a lot sitting around, but it will still be here for a few months.

I'll be looking for a new refrig if I have to!

Terry

AO and rice bran both have a year shelf life. If you keep them somewhere cool and of out direct sunlight you should be okay if you use them up within the year and got them the supplier as fresh oils.

Shea butter has an even longer shelf life at 1 - 2 years. Are you refrigerating it because you don't have somewhere room temperature to store it and are worried about repeated heating and cooling?

I had avocado oil turn very dark in about 3 months. It doesn't smell rancid, but I've been afraid to use it. All my oil are kept in a plastic container( no light) in my pantry.

I refrigerate my rice bran oil and avocado oil since I don't use as much of them as I do my other oils. I also refrigerate my shea butter, mango butter and lard, because they stay fresher for longer for me compared to when I've stored them at room temp. If I had hemp oil, I'd store that in the fridge, too.

The only ones that I don't worry about storing at room temp are coconut oil, PKO, cocoa butter, kokum butter, illipe butter, olive oil and castor oil. Those seem to last way beyond their proposed shelf-lives, and then some!

IrishLass :)

Shea butter has an even longer shelf life at 1 - 2 years. Are you refrigerating it because you don't have somewhere room temperature to store it and are worried about repeated heating and cooling?

I've been refrigerating it since I had some smell bad after I had it for 2 years, unrefrigerated.

Terry

Thanks everyone! I'm going to refrigerate my avocado and rice bran oils as soon as I get a frig large enough. I knew I should have gotten a regular frig, but instead got a mini frig that only holds one jug of hemp oil and the shea butter, plus the powders, such as oats and goats milk.

Oh, hubby will be thrilled with me! LOL!

Latest posts

Back