Oils to have on hand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make lotions so beside oils for soaping I have many exotic oils for my creams, but could not do without
Lard
OO
Tallow
Rice Bran
Apricot Kernel Oil
CO
Macadamia, Evening primose, cherry kernel oi., Argan, Abyssinian.........................and go on:)

Just to play on this simple rift - the amazing number of soaps you can make with just these 4 ingredients, here are just a few:

Basic every day soap: 65% lard, 15% OO, 15% CO, 5% castor
Extra gentle face soap: 80% lard, 10% OO, 5% CO, 5% castor
Wonderful Castile: 100% OO
Wonderful Bastile: 70% OO, 15% OO, 15% CO (can sub in 5% castor somewhere)
Salt soap: 80% CO, 15% OO, 5% castor, 80% PPO salt, 20% SF
Really cleansing and lathers in salt water soap: 100% coconut oil / 20% superfat
Laundry soap for grating: 100% CO, 0% SF

And that's just the bar soap - there's just as many liquid soaps.
really helpful info so thanks. i was a little confused though where you list bastile as OO is listed at both 70% & then 15%. was that 15% supposed to be something else or maybe i'm not understanding?

really helpful info so thanks. i was a little confused though where you list bastile as OO is listed at both 70% & then 15%. was that 15% supposed to be something else or maybe i'm not understanding?

Since a castile soap is 100% OO and nothing else, a bastile is just any high olive oil soap with other oils as well. Often one addition is coconut oil because olive oil lather isnt impressive at all.

But if you mean:
Wonderful Bastile: 70% OO, 15% OO, 15% CO (can sub in 5% castor somewhere)
that other 15% is CO

Latest posts

Back