Oils Found In Supermarket

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'll have this noted.
I guess I have to go back to the grocery and take a few more pictures and read more on the ingredients list.

I use this from my local baking supplies shop $3/Kg (50% coconut, 50% Palm Kernel), makes great soap (20% superfat), no other oil needed.
Finished soap bars on the left.
bMYyHDw.jpg

Hi there! I'm from the Philippines. I think I seen Crisco on the specialty stores that sell mostly items from the U.S.
I'm not far from you, the supermarkets in Asia are the wrong place for you to look for the base oils, you need a catering/baking supplies store.
They will have a large selection of coconut oil, palm kernel oil. Crisco is really expensive out here as it's a foreign import.
There are loads of locally produced fat spreads for baking.
(Samson Gold $2.50/Kg Palm Stearin + Palm Kernel + Coconut, is about the same as Crisco)
Palm oil may be listed as Palm oil from pericarp on the ingredients list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not far from you, the supermarkets in Asia are the wrong place for you to look for the base oils, you need a catering/baking supplies store.
They will have a large selection of coconut oil, palm kernel oil. Crisco is really expensive out here as it's a foreign import.
There are loads of locally produced fat spreads for baking.
(Samson Gold $2.50/Kg Palm Stearin + Palm Kernel + Coconut, is about the same as Crisco)
Palm oil may be listed as Palm oil from pericarp on the ingredients list.

Hi there! Thank you for your input! I'll take a look also from baking suppliers/stores here. :)

Hi there!
Where r u located try resurany supply houses for doughnut fry.. it is made from cottonseed and palm. Also look at Lowe's home improvement for rice bran oil 24 buck for 3 gallons. Local hardware stores can get lye sometime at bulk 50# or so.
I'm new to soap making and I was wondering can I use the coconut oil or palm oil I see in the supermarket aisles? Most of them are in the cooking oil section.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I there everyone! I have completed my supermarket/grocer canvassing and here are some of the oils I have found:

I found Crisco which is an option based on what @SunRiseArts said:

Crisco 1.jpg Crisco 2.jpg

There is a lot of Grapeseed Oil I have found. How much percentage can I used in my CP soap making?

Grapeseed Oil 1.jpg Grapeseed Oil 2.jpg

Rice Bran oil is also plentiful.

Rice Bran Oil.jpg

Safflower Oil is also available.

Safflower Oil 1.jpg Safflower Oil 2.jpg

And on a side note I found Vitamin E Acetate in aisle also. Can I add this as well to my soap?

Vitamin E 1.jpg Vitamin E 2.jpg

Also available which I found are the following: Macadamia Oil, Pumpkin Oil, Avocado Oil.

Lastly, is Sweet Almond oil different from Almond Oil? I found it also but I was confused.

Hope to hear from you all!

I like Rice Bran Oil in soap and have used it as high as 100%, although usually not that high. Grape seed oil has a short shelf life (about 6 months), so many soapers don't even use it, but in small percentages (say 5% to 10%) while it is still fresh and using a minimal superfat setting in your lye calculator, I have not had any problems with it.

My eyes are pretty old, so I'm having some trouble reading the Safflower Oil label. I can't tell if it's High Oleic or regular (lower oleic). Either is fine for use in soap, but the HO oils are less likely to contribute to DOS. If it is the regular, then I would suggest using it at low percentages in the formula.

I like Almond Oil in soap, but it's hard to find in grocers in the US lately, so I don't use it as much as before. But even so, I would still keep it's percentage on the low end, say 15% or less. Sweet Almond Oil is the same as 'Almond Oil' as far as I know.

Avocado Oil is a very nice oil in soap, but rather expensive in the states, so I would rather use it for cooking. I have used pumpkin oil in soap, but didn't like it. It darkens the soap quite a bit, has an odor that I didn't much like in soap, and it's just too costly (here) anyway. I have not used macadamia nut oil in soap, and it is really high priced here.

I wouldn't bother with the vitamin E acetate in soap. I know some people do add vit. E to soap to help prevent DOS, but according to Dr. Kevin Dunn (author of Scientific Soapmaking), it's not really effective at preventing DOS. (reference: http://cavemanchemistry.com/DreadedOrangeSpot-Dunn.pdf)

The Crisco is fine, as mentioned before, but make sure if you use it, you use the setting for the type you purchase. There are two Crisco settings in some lye calculators, the kind with animal fat (Crisco, old) and the kind without animal fat (Crisco, new w/palm). See soapee for the settings I mentioned.

Looks like HO safflower to me. Assuming the total fat under the glare is 14g, 11/14 is 78.5% oleic - more than olive oil.

I have completely replaced olive in my soaping with HO safflower. You can make a pretty darn good all veg bar with 50% of that Crisco, 25% HO safflower, 20% coconut, and 5% castor. Coconut isn't on your list, but I'm hoping it's so common that you didn't bother including it? If you don't have castor, just move the 5% to the Crisco or safflower.

I like Rice Bran Oil in soap and have used it as high as 100%, although usually not that high. Grape seed oil has a short shelf life (about 6 months), so many soapers don't even use it, but in small percentages (say 5% to 10%) while it is still fresh and using a minimal superfat setting in your lye calculator, I have not had any problems with it.

My eyes are pretty old, so I'm having some trouble reading the Safflower Oil label. I can't tell if it's High Oleic or regular (lower oleic). Either is fine for use in soap, but the HO oils are less likely to contribute to DOS. If it is the regular, then I would suggest using it at low percentages in the formula.

I like Almond Oil in soap, but it's hard to find in grocers in the US lately, so I don't use it as much as before. But even so, I would still keep it's percentage on the low end, say 15% or less. Sweet Almond Oil is the same as 'Almond Oil' as far as I know.

Avocado Oil is a very nice oil in soap, but rather expensive in the states, so I would rather use it for cooking. I have used pumpkin oil in soap, but didn't like it. It darkens the soap quite a bit, has an odor that I didn't much like in soap, and it's just too costly (here) anyway. I have not used macadamia nut oil in soap, and it is really high priced here.

I wouldn't bother with the vitamin E acetate in soap. I know some people do add vit. E to soap to help prevent DOS, but according to Dr. Kevin Dunn (author of Scientific Soapmaking), it's not really effective at preventing DOS. (reference: http://cavemanchemistry.com/DreadedOrangeSpot-Dunn.pdf)

The Crisco is fine, as mentioned before, but make sure if you use it, you use the setting for the type you purchase. There are two Crisco settings in some lye calculators, the kind with animal fat (Crisco, old) and the kind without animal fat (Crisco, new w/palm). See soapee for the settings I mentioned.

Thank you so much! It is very enlightening! Based on the link that you added, the best preservative in soap making is BHT with Sodium Citrate.

Luckily, I might have a local supplier of both chemicals. Thank you so much! :)

Looks like HO safflower to me. Assuming the total fat under the glare is 14g, 11/14 is 78.5% oleic - more than olive oil.

I have completely replaced olive in my soaping with HO safflower. You can make a pretty darn good all veg bar with 50% of that Crisco, 25% HO safflower, 20% coconut, and 5% castor. Coconut isn't on your list, but I'm hoping it's so common that you didn't bother including it? If you don't have castor, just move the 5% to the Crisco or safflower.

Thank for your comment! I really appreciate all the help I can get. I'm slowly getting the equipment needed. Recently bought spatulas, digital weighing scale, immersion blender and easy pour containers. My next target are the raw ingredients.

You are correct that Coconut oil is readily available locally here. But I have a question regarding coconut oil. I have encountered "fractionated" Coconut Oil. Which is the best to use in soap making? Virgin coconut oil, fractionated coconut oil or just the plain coconut oil?

Thanks in advance!

You are correct that Coconut oil is readily available locally here. But I have a question regarding coconut oil. I have encountered "fractionated" Coconut Oil. Which is the best to use in soap making? Virgin coconut oil, fractionated coconut oil or just the plain coconut oil?
Thanks in advance!

Just regular coconut oil.

In the lye calculators, there are 3 Coconut oils listed. It is the 76 degree (melts at 76 degrees Fahrenheit = 24 Celsius) that is most commonly used in making bar soap. You can use the others, but the Fx CO is more often used for cosmetic purposes. Fx CO has some of the fatty acids removed, so if it is used in soap, the make-up of the bar would be quite different than if one uses regular CO.

Sorry to post this here but i also just found crisco in a supermarket near me, its 3 lb for 7 dollars aprox, should i buy it? Is the closest thing to palm oil i am gonna get here...

Sorry to post this here but i also just found crisco in a supermarket near me, its 3 lb for 7 dollars aprox, should i buy it? Is the closest thing to palm oil i am gonna get here...

That seems a bit expensive to me, but for you it's an import, so perhaps not excessively expensive.

As I recall, Walmarts is in many large cities in Mexico, selling many of the same products as they sell here. Do you have a Walmart near you? And if so, does it carry the Great Value Brand (Walmart's Brand) of Shortening? It's usually cheaper than Crisco AND it is listed in the lye calculator soapee.com. (Walmart GV shortening, tallow/palm). It would be more affordable, I would guess.

Attachments

• GV shortening.JPG
    GV shortening.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 3
That seems a bit expensive to me, but for you it's an import, so perhaps not excessively expensive.

As I recall, Walmarts is in many large cities in Mexico, selling many of the same products as they sell here. Do you have a Walmart near you? And if so, does it carry the Great Value Brand (Walmart's Brand) of Shortening? It's usually cheaper than Crisco AND it is listed in the lye calculator soapee.com. (Walmart GV shortening, tallow/palm). It would be more affordable, I would guess.

Yep, lots of walmarts and yes, lots of Great Value stuff but not shortening, i had no idea they made shortening, i will look for that anyway but the only shortening that wallmart sells here (as far as i know, and i have visited several) is brand called INCA which is suuuuper cheap it is just sold as vegetable shortening (with soy as the first ingredient) but no proportions and its not on soapcalc. How much does 3lb of crisco cost? I am really only considering it for the palm it contains to make a veggie soap with palm.

Locally where I live your 3-lb can would cost less than $5.50 dollars US. Or a 6-lb can is under $11.00 US. (I don't keep up with the exchange rates very much, but I think that $5.50 US is about 113 pesos.)

As a source for a veggie palm containing soap, I would say go for it. The price is higher than here, but for you it is an import and I expect most imports are often higher priced.

It seems that in VeraCruz, palm oil production went down (in favor of more traditional crops), but apparently it is up in Chiapas, according to reports I read. But four years ago 1/3 of palm oil from Latin-America was exported to Mexico. Apparently that is being used in food products and not being sold to soap makers, however.

Too bad it is so hard to find as a soaping oil where you live. Even so, I make mostly all veggie soaps myself, and I don't use palm in most of my recipes. IMO, palm is not an absolute necessity in an all-veggie soap. But you should definitely try it and compare it to a soap without palm and decide for yourself.

Locally where I live your 3-lb can would cost less than $5.50 dollars US. Or a 6-lb can is under $11.00 US. (I don't keep up with the exchange rates very much, but I think that $5.50 US is about 113 pesos.)

As a source for a veggie palm containing soap, I would say go for it. The price is higher than here, but for you it is an import and I expect most imports are often higher priced.

It seems that in VeraCruz, palm oil production went down (in favor of more traditional crops), but apparently it is up in Chiapas, according to reports I read. But four years ago 1/3 of palm oil from Latin-America was exported to Mexico. Apparently that is being used in food products and not being sold to soap makers, however.

Too bad it is so hard to find as a soaping oil where you live. Even so, I make mostly all veggie soaps myself, and I don't use palm in most of my recipes. IMO, palm is not an absolute necessity in an all-veggie soap. But you should definitely try it and compare it to a soap without palm and decide for yourself.

Once again, thank you so much for your answer.
Since the difference ends up being just about two dollars it doesnt seem too expensive, i was expecting it to be cheaper there, but the price here doesnt seem THAT bad. Specially considering, as you said, that it is an import product and this is the first time i’ve seen it since i started browsing the oils aisle at supermarkets, as you do haha. As i said in my introduction i had no idea palm oil was a thing so trying to easily find it i knew was not gonna happen and this is the closest thing. The inca one doesnt list palm oil in it.
I think I’ll give it a try, even if its just, well, to try. I have made a couple veggie soaps without palm too, but since a lot of people seem to love the palm on their soaps it got me curious.

I was now researching with preservative I can use for my soaps and body butter and @earlene gave me link about a study on how to prevent DOS.

It says that the combination of BHT and Sodium Citrate is the ideal to prevent DOS.

I also came across EDTA which prevents DOS.

My question now is which of the two is better? BHT + Sodium Citrate or EDTA?

And how much is the recommend usage between those 2 options?

Thanks in advance!

I was now researching with preservative I can use for my soaps and body butter and @earlene gave me link about a study on how to prevent DOS.

It says that the combination of BHT and Sodium Citrate is the ideal to prevent DOS.

I also came across EDTA which prevents DOS.

My question now is which of the two is better? BHT + Sodium Citrate or EDTA?

And how much is the recommend usage between those 2 options?

Thanks in advance!

You have posted the same question in more than one section of the forum. Please start a new thread instead of tacking on to someone else's thread. Use the link below for information regarding preservation of soap vs chelators. You don't need to preserve CP soap.

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html

Back