Oils for hair and scalp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
OILS FOR HAIR & SCALP (Source: Unknown. It includes some of my additions. This has been in my files so long, I don't remember where it came from. Please let me know if you know the author.)

In addition to Coconut Oil or Palm Kernel Oil for good cleansing and lather, balance your formula using 1, 2, or more fats from the following list. Keep in mind that jojoba (a liquid wax) and butters should be kept to 2% or less. Olive, Avocado, and shea butter are high in unsaponifiables, so don’t discount the NaOH/KOH to make sure they are fully saponified.

HAIR & SCALP NOURISHING OILS: olive and/or rice bran, castor, jojoba, hemp seed and/or sunflower, wheat germ.

ADD for a clean, nourished, and hydrated scalp: exotic butters, luxury oils, essential oils, botanicals for healthy hair.

BETA CAROTENE (vitamin A) to help revitalize hair shafts.

PROPERTIES OF OILS SPECIFIC TO HAIR CARE are listed below.

AVOCADO OIL to moisturize, restore luster, and condition.
BABASSU OIL Emollient, nourishing, moisturizes, and restores hair strength and elasticity, for shiny, healthy-looking hair.
*CARROT ROOT OIL conditions the hair and helps balance the moisture.
CASTOR OIL for brittle, damaged hair or hair loss.
CAMELLIA OIL provides luster and shine, help with dandruff and hair loss.
FLAX SEED OIL is a nourishing, rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and the Omega-3 series of essential fatty acids needed for the regulation of cellular activity.
HEMP SEED (Unrefined Virgin) balance of essential nutrients for strong healthy hair.
JOJOBA OIL penetrates the scalp; hair conditioner; ideal pH for the scalp.
OLIVE OIL nourishes, conditions, and improves the strength and elasticity.
RICE BRAN OIL, rich in anti-oxidants, ; adds sheen and manageability.
SHEA BUTTER helps condition and smooth the hair shaft.
SUNFLOWER, nutrient-rich, easily absorbed, the most moisturizing vegetable oil, strengthener.
WALNUT OIL, an excellent hair care oil, helps condition hair.
WHEAT GERM oil, rich in B Vitamins & Vitamin E, anti-oxidants, softens hair.

*See ZANY'S MIY Carrot Tissue Oil. Great for hair, face, & skin!

OILS FOR HAIR & SCALP (Source: Unknown. It includes some of my additions. This has been in my files so long, I don't remember where it came from. Please let me know if you know the author.)

In addition to Coconut Oil or Palm Kernel Oil for good cleansing and lather, balance your formula using 1, 2, or more fats from the following list. Keep in mind that jojoba (a liquid wax) and butters should be kept to 2% or less. Olive, Avocado, and shea butter are high in unsaponifiables, so don’t discount the NaOH/KOH to make sure they are fully saponified. ...

... don't discount the NaOH/KOH ...
Just to confirm - is this post about making a lye-based, zero % superfat, shampoo soap (using your recommended oils)?

... don't discount the NaOH/KOH ...
Just to confirm - is this post about making a lye-based, zero % superfat, shampoo soap (using your recommended oils)?
No. LOL This post isn't just about soap. I make a lot of different hair & scalp products for personal use -- hair butter, hot oil treatment, scalp treatment for hair loss or dandruff, conditioner, anti-frizz gel, etc. as well as shampoo.

So, when I found it in my files, I thought it might be a good idea to share it -- that others may find it as useful as I have in formulating any type of hair/scalp products, not just soap or shampoo, although that may be the primary interest for most members. Hence, the caution.

Also, they are not my "recommended oils"; just an overview of what oils I've gleaned over time that are somewhat available -- the list is certainly not as comprehensive as it could be. It's been in my files for a very, very long time. :)

Please feel free to add to it or share your experience using a certain oil on the list that worked/didn't work for you.

ETA: I just noticed that Argan Oil isn't on the list! Just a drop or two rubbed between the palms and then smoothed on the hair gives it a wonderful shine! And it's very healthy for the hair too.

I read somewhere that only a handful of oils actually penetrate the hair shaft. That just sounds wrong lol. Oils that are high in medium chain fatty acids like olive and coconut (plus a few more) have a small enough molecular structure to penetrate the hair and scalp. This isn’t the saponified oils, just the oils themselves. Here’s a link with 7 oils listed:

https://beautymunsta.com/natural-oils-that-penetrate-the-hair-shaft/

I have been using Coconut oil as an oil treatment for my hair for years just in the ends and it is amazing! found that I can't use it on my scalp though otherwise for days I have a oily forehead and neck even once I've washed the oil treament out haha.

Thanks.gif

Wanted to add to this list as there are so many options people don't think about. I use almond, olive & sunflower oils to infuse herbs into, but mostly extra virgin olive oil. I keep my infused oils in sealed jars (heat sealed) in a very cool room & not directly exposed to light, which helps them last a long time without going rancid. Flax seed oil is the exception & always needs to be kept in the fridge / freezer, as do flax seeds themselves.

• amla oil (my hair loves this stuff)
• meadowfoam oil (same as above - beautiful)
• abyssinian oil (mine is on the way)
• nettle infused oil (nettles for hair is a huge win)
• yarrow infused oil (gorgeous for people with oilier hair & scalp issues)
• hibiscus infused oil
• rosemary infused oil
• castor oil (for people with dry / damaged / coarse / kinky hair that's difficult to keep moisturized)
• flax seed oil AND gel (preserve the gel, obviously)
• straight up aloe or distilled aloe (not an oil but wanted to add it anyways)
• witch hazel infused oil (another one of my favourites in my own hair oil)
• milk thistle oil
• plantain infused oil
• burdock infused oil
• comfrey root / leaf infused oil (TONS of allantoin in there!)

Infused oils really are quite amazing in many different products, especially when harvesting wild plants as they have higher concentrations of actives vs cultivated plants - respectfully harvested & within reason, without wiping them out in any area (keep your picking areas to yourself). They are also much cheaper to use when producing them yourself. Learn how to properly infuse oils using a glass canning jar with a lid lightly tightened in a hot pot of water (do NOT put the jar directly in contact with the bottom of the pot, use a small towel in the bottom) & you can have many options at your fingertips for a fraction of the cost of purchased oils. Much higher quality as well.

I use almond, olive & sunflower oils to infuse herbs into,
Same here! Altho I've never infused almond oil it's a good sub for olive oil at 100% Casile -- hard bars like ZNSC or liquid soap. Add 10% coconut and 5% castor to boost lather.
I keep my infused oils in sealed jars (heat sealed) in a very cool room & not directly exposed to light, which helps them last a long time without going rancid.
:thumbs: Same here! Altho I store them in a closed cabinet in the basement. Both OO and HO Sunflower have long shelf lives. I infuse calendula petals and home-grown comfrey leaves to make soothing MSM/Emu Oil Cream for arthritis among other medicinal salves & balms.

Flax seed oil is the exception & always needs to be kept in the fridge / freezer, as do flax seeds themselves.
:thumbs: Good advice. I wait until I'm ready to make my Flaxseed & Rosin Liquid Shampoo before buying it so I can use it up right away.
Infused oils really are quite amazing in many different products,
:thumbs: I agree. Thank you for sharing that list!

Since I don't have the option of harvesting them in the wild, I've grown a few in containers (nettle, comfrey, calendula, chamomile and rosemary). Now it's just easier to purchase them in the 4-oz. size from HerbCo.com.

I should mention, early in my soaping career, a soaping buddy sent me 3 starts for comfrey, harvested from a dark dank forest floor in NH. :D

Same here! Altho I've never infused almond oil it's a good sub for olive oil at 100% Casile -- hard bars like ZNSC or liquid soap. Add 10% coconut and 5% castor to boost lather.

In the past, I didn't usually bother infusing oils for soaps, except maybe for calendula, but will be doing so this time around as I am doing primarily shampoo bars which can also be used for the skin. I do find I get more benefit from the herbs via tinctures or oil infusions used topically or internally, but the infused oils still work nicely for the hair. I even use the oils in my smoothies, like comfrey infused oil, plantain, calendula etc. I also infuse my natural herbal colorants for soaps in oil, but that's something completely different :)

:thumbs: Same here! Altho I store them in a closed cabinet in the basement. Both OO and HO Sunflower have long shelf lives. I infuse calendula petals and home-grown comfrey leaves to make soothing MSM/Emu Oil Cream for arthritis among other medicinal salves & balms.

I primarily infuse them for use in salves, skin & haircare products, making toothpaste etc. Herbs in general, I mean, not just the ones discussed for use on hair. I have a carport, but not a basement, so keep my infused oils in my spare bedroom which is always cool & never exposed to direct sunlight, with shelves to the ceiling along every wall. If I keep the door closed, my wood stove never warms it up to any degree. I've had some infused oils last for several years being stored that way. They can also be kept outdoors in a cooler, in a very shady area, and even in a styrofoam cooler (I cannot stand styrofoam but will use it if it comes in packaging) placed in a hole in the ground over the winter if protected from water seepage, which is easy enough to do. You can tell I don't live anywhere near a city. When I did, it made me nuts not being able to do any of these things.

:thumbs: Good advice. I wait until I'm ready to make my Flaxseed & Rosin Liquid Shampoo before buying it so I can use it up right away.

:thumbs: I agree. Thank you for sharing that list!

Since I don't have the option of harvesting them in the wild, I've grown a few in containers (nettle, comfrey, calendula, chamomile and rosemary). Now it's just easier to purchase them in the 4-oz. size from HerbCo.com.

I should mention, early in my soaping career, a soaping buddy sent me 3 starts for comfrey, harvested from a dark dank forest floor in NH. :D

There is a very good shop on Etsy, actually a couple, which are shipping high quality herbs from Greece, where I've been ordering what I'm unable to harvest in my area.

GreekHerbay - Etsy
YouHerbIt - Etsy

Fortunately, I have a lot of wild plants to choose from where I live & scavenge from friends' properties who don't understand the value in their 'weeds' 😂

To keep your comfrey healthier, and to boost its medicinal properties, soak your nettle leaves in water in a large bucket. This concoction will stink to high h3ll when you open the bucket, but your comfrey plants - and all others - will love being watered with it. You can throw comfrey in there too, the leaves which are wilting, calendula, all sorts of stuff. Nettles are loaded with all sorts of nutrients, much better than petroleum derived fertilizers, and completely non-toxic unlike the aforementioned. Put nettles in food as well. Awesome in lasagna, samosas, pasta sauces, raw in smoothies, all sorts of stuff. Likewise comfrey. Will be picking nettles again this spring in an area near my home, which I do intend on putting in shampoo bars, as well as stocking my freezer with again :) Just keep that nettle-stew bucket sealed when not using it haha 🤢

Speaking of hair & oils, my main soap formulation for my return to soaping is for shampoo bars as I said, so I got a whole lot of questions I wanna ask of those with more experience with them than me.

Winter is almost over....a flock of Canadian geese just flew overhead...WOOT!!

Back