Oils for Eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennalison

Reaction score
Hello!

I am working on creating a recipe that my friend's son can try on his eczema. She is providing me with allergy info which rules out some oils. We haven't come up with a all inclusive list yet as she will need to do a skin test as we look at different oils.

Long story (sorry) short, what are some oils that you have used for similar conditions? I know everyone is different and that one size doesn't fit all but we are gathering a list of oils we can use that won't cause irritation.

not sure about EOs (as i never worked with them for eczema) but can suggest 3 Indian herbs those are proven for various skin conditions (i'm using right now on my own for ring worms and they are showing result)
1. neem powder (food grade)
2. manjistha/majeeth powder (food grade)
3. aloevera powder (food grade)

best part is that they are much cheaper than EOs (at least in India ;))

Many will say that we can't claim anything as being good for eczema - not out loud anyway, but if she's into 'testing' the soaps until you come up with a winner, then go for it. I'd probably try to lock down a good base recipe before trying any additives.

My son had really bad eczema when he was little, and most of it was caused by the food he (and I, while breastfeeding him) was eating. We narrowed down his allergies to dairy, eggs and nuts ( peanuts and all tree nuts). So I would avoid almond oil or any nut oils if that is a likely contributor.

You might want to look at the thread entitled 'Zany's No Slime Castile'. I make that with 85% Olive Oil, 10% Coconut and 5% Castor and it is very gentle. Some claim the salt water to be beneficial to eczema.

However, some people find Olive Oil irritating to their skin - so again, everyone is different and it will be trial and error.

My sister-in -law gets eczema and since trying my soap has never looked back. There's nothing special about my recipe I don't think, so i think that maybe just the handmade soaps have fewer additives in them than commercial soaps so might therefore be less irritating?

Most people find that too much coconut oil can be irritating to dry skin, because it strips the skin ( it is very cleansing) so i would keep that on the light side.

I've found Avocado oil to be a nice addition to my recipe - I use that at 10%.

And Aloe vera juice is LOVELY in soap - a recent discovery on my part. However, as stated above I would make sure you find a recipe you like first, and then note the difference from that as you try out different additives. Good luck! Let us know what you try and how it all goes.

:thumbs::thumbs: Soap is not necessarily the cure-all for eczema. I find very little helps eczema but a lot can worsen it. Sadly it is hard to narrow the cause and I find topical treatments really do not help eczema most of the time. If you could see my hands you would know what I am talking about. Right now even using water on them hurts let alone soap

:thumbs::thumbs: Soap is not necessarily the cure-all for eczema. I find very little helps eczema but a lot can worsen it. Sadly it is hard to narrow the cause and I find topical treatments really do not help eczema most of the time. If you could see my hands you would know what I am talking about. Right now even using water on them hurts let alone soap

Agree completely. My son has horrendous eczema on his face and at present all he can bear on it is jojoba oil on a cotton pad.

Sadly only Predisone is the one big hope. I have not tried the new oral medicine since my insurance will not pay for it.

LilyJo I hope something comes up to help your son, it is so miserable and can be dangerous. I have fought it since I was 2yrs old. A year or two back a lotion I made with Evening Primrose sent me to emergency.

Thank you, it's such a debilitating illness that, like asthma or migraine, is badly understood by those who dont live with the impact.

He's managed it with no real issues for years and then out of the blue this year he has huge patches on his face around his eyes. Every cream he's tried feels like its burning and all he can bear is jojoba oil, I hate seeing him in so much pain.

Mine just started back with a vengeance this year after about a 15-year of not being bothered too badly. I agree with the burning of creams. I finally broke down and went to a dermatologist, what a waste of time that was. All she did was give me 2 tiny samples of Eucrisa which are not helping and I am sure my insurance will not pay for it since I know it is Uber expensive as are all new eczema meds in the US. I would love to try Dupixent but I guarantee it is out of my price range.
Sorry strayed a bit off-topic.

I grew up with eczema, I still have the marks in my feet to show for it, since I was 6 or so. Fast forward to adulthood, I've finally figured out what my trigger is: sugar. Too much of it and bam, my fingers would break out. The good thing is I can easily counter that with drinking lots of green juice, or cut back on the sugar. But I love chocolate chip cookies and baking things, so when I'm into sugar binge it's a bit difficult to stop.

But back to soaps, I agree nothing much helped me or my sin when he had eczema. We tried lotion and pine tar soap without much drastic change. I do think handmade soap is special, and with my 'sensitive' skin, I only use that, or nothing.

A reference (read description)
https://www.amazon.in/Prakrta-Tende...=coconut+oil&qid=1563590765&s=gateway&sr=8-54

Ayurveda is full of coconut oil uses for various skin conditions/diseases.

I share 2 recipes which you should try but consider these 2 things
1. Concerned person does not have allergy to coconut oil.
2. Do a patch test before applying all over body to see whether there is soothing effect or soap is causing itching (in that case abandon soap)

Recipe 1

100gm oil base

30% pure coconut oil ( extra virgin will be good) - 30gm
30% palm oil - 30gm
30% olive oil (evoo will be good) - 30gm
10% castor oil - 10gm

10% lye discounting (you may go ahead, higher is better)
Calculate lye amount from lye calculator

10% (of oils weight) neem powder - food grade - 10gm
10% (of oils weight) Aloe Vera powder - food grade - 10gm

Keep 15gm coconut oil separate (don't mix in oil base and mix your lye solution in rest of oils) and mix neem and Aloe Vera powder in it and add this mixture at light trace.

These powder should be very fine otherwise they won't mix in soap well.

Water 20% - 20gm

Recipe 2 (I prefer this though you may not but decide only after using and not just by reading the recipe)

For 100gm oil base

80% pure coconut oil ( extra virgin will be good) - 80gm
20% castor oil

25% lye discounting
Calculate lye amount from lye calculator

10% (of oils weight) neem powder - food grade - 10gm
10% (of oils weight) Aloe Vera powder - food grade - 10gm

Keep 15gm coconut oil separate (don't mix in oil base and mix your lye solution in rest of oils) and mix neem and Aloe Vera powder in it and add this mixture at light trace.

These powder should be very fine otherwise they won't mix in soap well.

Water 20% - 20gm

Note: this soap will be waxy and dissolve quickly. So use keeping that in mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-20-08-41-57-474_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-07-20-08-41-57-474_com.android.chrome.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 13
I've had very little experience with eczema until about a year or so ago. Hopefully, sharing this simple treatment might help someone.

When my dear hubby developed eczema in the back of his knees while in the hospital it quickly spread from a tiny rash on his right leg to his left leg, and then spread widely up and down the back of his legs. I consulted a directory of Essential Oil treatments for him and found a simple oil treatment that proved effective:

96 mls almond 0il (or carrier oil of choice)
3 mls benzoin essential oil
1 ml lavender essential oil

I've had "itchy ears" for 10 years. This is the first time I've been able to soothe the itch. I put a drop of the oil in each ear and use a cutip to spread it around the opening to the inner ear. It works, but hasn't cleared the condition completely. I have to reapply as needed.

ETA: Edited to correct almond oil amount and link benzoin to the source I like to use.

Last edited:
My 18 year old son has had eczema since he was about a year old. It was the worst case most Drs had ever seen. We have been all over the US seeking out different Drs and/or treatments. He was on an oral steroid for most of his childhood as this was the only option for him to have any quality of life. Of course, this led to many other issues. Cushings syndrome, thinning of skin, etc. He didn't grow for years, and we ended up tapering the steroids over months and began growth hormone. At this point, he was a patient at NIH in Maryland. We had pretty much made it to the top of the eczema experts. They flew us up every few months for about a year and a half to study and follow his progress. There was no rhyme or reason for my son's eczema. He is currently on Dupixent and it has changed our lives!!!
I've learned a few things over the years. All eczema is different as all people are different. What works for one may not work for the next. There is no "miracle soap" that will make it go away. The best soap would be an extremely gentle bar. I use a high lard soap with no coconut oil. Also, "soak and seal" is a must!!! My son slept in wet pajamas for years. With eczema, you want to trap the moisture. Someone with eczema on their hands would want to bathe in lukewarm or cool water, keeping hands submerged in the water. Upon getting out of the tub, you have 3 minutes (actually called "the 3 minute rule") to seal in that moisture. Pat skin dry, smother area in emollient/ cream and cover with wet sock/ glove. You dont want to rub the cream all the way in. We use hydrolatum as almost everything else burns. Hell....even water burned him at one point. Aquaphor is a good one that can be found a little easier.
Hope this helps a little.

I have dyshidrotic eczema and for me, the only thing that I have found to help make it better is apple cider vinegar with the mother. I cover the affected area with a cloth soaked in the vinegar...most people dilute it first. It may not work for other types of eczema, but for me it is the only think that helps when I have a flare up.

My 18 year old son has had eczema since he was about a year old. It was the worst case most Drs had ever seen. We have been all over the US seeking out different Drs and/or treatments. He was on an oral steroid for most of his childhood as this was the only option for him to have any quality of life. Of course, this led to many other issues. Cushings syndrome, thinning of skin, etc. He didn't grow for years, and we ended up tapering the steroids over months and began growth hormone. At this point, he was a patient at NIH in Maryland. We had pretty much made it to the top of the eczema experts. They flew us up every few months for about a year and a half to study and follow his progress. There was no rhyme or reason for my son's eczema. He is currently on Dupixent and it has changed our lives!!!
I've learned a few things over the years. All eczema is different as all people are different. What works for one may not work for the next. There is no "miracle soap" that will make it go away. The best soap would be an extremely gentle bar. I use a high lard soap with no coconut oil. Also, "soak and seal" is a must!!! My son slept in wet pajamas for years. With eczema, you want to trap the moisture. Someone with eczema on their hands would want to bathe in lukewarm or cool water, keeping hands submerged in the water. Upon getting out of the tub, you have 3 minutes (actually called "the 3 minute rule") to seal in that moisture. Pat skin dry, smother area in emollient/ cream and cover with wet sock/ glove. You dont want to rub the cream all the way in. We use hydrolatum as almost everything else burns. Hell....even water burned him at one point. Aquaphor is a good one that can be found a little easier.
Hope this helps a little.
Many of the treatments you mention I have done over the years. People think petroleum based products are bad, but for many of us, they are good. I would love to give Dupixent a try but of course, insurance nixes it for me. I am so glad it is helping your son at this point and continues to help. No one, that has not experienced severe eczema has no clue how horrific it is. It absolutely interferes with life. You sound like wonderful parents to keep pursuing treatments. For me, it is back to prednisone, since insurance really does not care about the side effects. As mentioned in the post before this one, Vinegar would burn me up and do nothing, and I am sure it is the same Rsapienza's son.

Latest posts

Back