Oil storage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question about storing oils.

Mine are in the basement on a shelf. They have minimal light exposure and it is cool. I am reading that some oils and butters should be refrigerated. I do refrigerate my lard but is there any other oils and butters I should store in the fridge?

I keep my hemp seed oil in the fridge since it seems to go south before some of the others. That and my lard are all that I refrigerate, tho. Refrigerating them delays rancidity, I believe. Cool and dark like your basement should help extend their life, but I will defer to the more knowledgeable on the forum.

Most of the polyunsaturated fats should be refrigerated. Hemp, grapeseed, pumpkin, sesame, linseed (flax) oils are a few I can think of that are sometimes used for soap making. Many of the exotic/specialty oils people use in lotions and such are also polyunsaturated -- rosehip for example should always be refrigerated. I also refrigerate or freeze home rendered lard and tallow. I also add ROE (rosemary oleoresin) to these fats to protect against oxidation during storage.

Okay so I don't need to worry about the avocado, cocoa butter and the like.

I read that butters should be refrigerated but haven't ever refrigerated them and I used them for body butters, lotions and scrubs before I started making soap.

I have a question about storing oils.

Mine are in the basement on a shelf. They have minimal light exposure and it is cool. I am reading that some oils and butters should be refrigerated. I do refrigerate my lard but is there any other oils and butters I should store in the fridge?
I refrigerate all my oils, including my essential oils. I believe it gives them a longer life.

We're lucky to have an RV with a house-size refrigerator and freezer. I have some in our home fridge and some out there. It's generally the more delicate (short shelf life) oils that I keep in the fridge; I also keep my butters in there as well.

Last night I moved around the beer and soda in the basement fridge and put all my open oils and butters in. I will probably have to move some out for Thanksgiving but for now I am leaving them there.

I guess these posts answer my question. I live in AZ & my workspace is in the garage. I guess it's not a good idea to keep them in a cabinet out there...?

You also need to look at how full your bottles are and the temperature. Once the temperature is above 20oC (68oF) , the rate of oxidation increases dramatically. More oxygen and heat, the quicker the rate of oxidation, which turns some chemical constituents into peroxides with essential oils and causes greater skin irritation. All your oils should be stored in coloured glass ;)

Back