Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelestaMoon

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished making some dipped loofah Cp soap. After i dipped the loofah in the soap i placed them on some wax paper. i am now seeing some oil around the loofahs on the wax paper. The soap came together great, saw no separation and it was in the bowl for quit awhile as i was dipping so it got a chance to rest. I am wondering if this is normal to see a little oil residue around the soap. I have only made soap in molds so this is all new to me. any help/suggestions would be great!

-Celesta

How much oil are you seeing? Is it pooling out or is it just a darkened ring on the paper? If it's pooling I'd say it wasn't at a full trace, but if it is just a darkened ring on the paper I wouldn't worry at all. Until saponification it is oil after all, so some discoloring or soaking in would be normal.

it was just a darkened ring around very little it scared me! haha thank you so much for your reply @dorymae i woke up and checked it out and it looks dry looks great but when i touched it it was still wet. this is another thing i have never experienced, now i'm nervous the mixture wont harden. i'll wait another 24 hours and see what it turns out to be like. i switched up my oils in the recipe so i knew going into this it may be a soft soap..but i didn't expect it to be this soft! lol i guess time will tell pray it hardens up....ALOT MORE =]

UPDATE: Soap is hardening but now i think i'v encountered the dreaded orange spots!!! they are pretty small little orange specks not sure if it's the loofah or actual DOS? any advice as to what to do with this. is it still usable or should i just chuck it? geez out of all the soaps i have made i am only encountering all of this with this particular soap lol i don't think it's meant to be!

I think you can try smelling them and see if there's a sour rancid smell (assuming you didnt use FO/EO)

Dos will not show up that quickly. Usually it is something that develops over weeks or months. It is most likely the loofah you are seeing. Oh and it will take a bit longer to harden because you have a bit more water in it. (you soaked your loofah right?)

I'm sure it will turn out great.

hey everyone thanks for your replies! big help, this forum rocks =]
yes i soaked the loofah, it's hardening slowly but surely. also, i waited till it dried more and examined it real good and realized the orange spots are just color running from the teatree powder i had added to the mixture. these soaps look beautiful. i think i stressed myself too much and freaked out for nothing haha life of a soap maker i guess. thanks for all your advice! @dorymae and @summerflyy

Latest posts

Back