Oil prices

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m continuing my soap making journey and trying as many recipes as I can. I started wanting to make gentle, unscented soaps for my family members that have skin issues. That didn’t last long. The creative outlet is a strong pull!
I have a recipe using canola oil. I went to Costco and picked up 192 ounces for 7.99. Is that usual or a sale? Seems pretty reasonable, but I don’t have enough experience to know any better. Stay healthy, all.

Prices vary, depending on where you live.

Where I live, HO Canola oil is 3.8 ¢/fl oz at Walmart & at Sam's Club. But at Costco, it is 4.6 ¢/fl oz.
Your Long Island Coscto Canola oil is the same as my local Walmart HO Canola oil. But that doesn't mean it's on sale in Long Island. It may be the normal price

Last time I was in NY pricing oil (soap maker tourism activity), the prices of oil in NYC were lower than the prices in my part of Illinois. Like I said, local prices vary; I see it all the time in my travels.

I suggest that you check on the Canola prices at other stores near you and then decide which is the best price. That's what I generally do, when I want to purchase a product.

Prices vary, depending on where you live.

Where I live, HO Canola oil is 3.8 ¢/fl oz at Walmart & at Sam's Club. But at Costco, it is 4.6 ¢/fl oz.
Your Long Island Coscto Canola oil is the same as my local Walmart HO Canola oil. But that doesn't mean it's on sale in Long Island. It may be the normal price

Last time I was in NY pricing oil (soap maker tourism activity), the prices of oil in NYC were lower than the prices in my part of Illinois. Like I said, local prices vary; I see it all the time in my travels.

I suggest that you check on the Canola prices at other stores near you and then decide which is the best price. That's what I generally do, when I want to purchase a product.
Thank you. I’m heading to Walmart and the grocery store tomorrow. I’ll be checking out the prices there. I’m thinking I’m better off buying oils locally and paying shipping for things I can’t find here.

Back