Oil or Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymammaof3

Reaction score
I made a daily moisturizer that works well. The 1st batch, I think wasn't blended long and consistently enough. So the water seperated from the rest of the cream and what was left was a thicker lotion type texture. And it never went bad. It was never refrigerated either. The cream still worked well without the water that was removed, due to separation.

When I made the second batch, blending better the cream stayed together and went bad after about 2 weeks, without refrigeration. In the fridge the second bacth stayed fresh, over 1 month so far.

Could it be the water that is making the second batch go bad...since it stayed together in the second batch and was removed in the 1st batch?

If you use water in your moisturiser recipe you need to either refridgerate or use a preservative, otherwise the water will let all kind of nasties grow.

Personally I use a preservative, but that is a choice you will have to make for yourself. I just don't want to risk putting stuff on my face (or anywhere else for that matter) that may have started to grow nasties that are'nt visible to the eye yet.

To answer your question, yes, it was probably the water.

Becky said:
If you use water in your moisturiser recipe you need to either refridgerate or use a preservative, otherwise the water will let all kind of nasties grow.

Personally I use a preservative, but that is a choice you will have to make for yourself. I just don't want to risk putting stuff on my face (or anywhere else for that matter) that may have started to grow nasties that are'nt visible to the eye yet.

To answer your question, yes, it was probably the water.

yep i was going to say that it will grow mold and bacteria that may not be seen by the naked eye.

I Am Really Impressed!

I am really impressed with the friendliness and professionalism on this site. No other group I have joined was ever able to behave maturely with simple and important topics such as this :!: :D

So, if I used jojoba and vitamin E as the only oils...then they might not require any preservative. I suppose the vitamin E in it is enough to keep the oil from going rancid:?:

If you mean that you are using only jojoba and vitamin E oil and nothing else, then no it shouldn't require a preservative. My general rule of thumb is no water = no preservative.

However, if it is something that is going to have water introduced at any time during the life of the product, then it needs a preservative. For example, a scrub that will live in the shower or next to the tub and will be scooped out of the jar with wet hands and have water splashed into it during use probably should have a preservative added.

As has been already stated, anytime you add water, you will need a preservative. Or if you are making a product that can get water into it, you will need a preservative. Vitamin E and ROE will help extend the shelf life of your solution but will not guard against any ickeys growing in your solution.

The other thing to know, if you do not already, is that when you add oils and water together, besides a preservative, you must use an emulsifier to keep the oils and water from separating.

I made up a gallon of my body butter heavy cream today. I used Shea, Kpangnan and cocoa as the Butters, and Sweet Almond, Camilina, Macadamia Nut and Hemp Seed as the oils. I use E-wax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, and Lecithin and Natural Vitamin E in it too. I preserve with Germall Plus. I use distilled water and aloe vera juice as my liquids. It turned out very nice and super thick. I have a lot of it sold at my other Etsy store.

ETA: Erin, I told you this was a super nice forum! If a person wants drama and trash talk, there are several of those forums you can visit! :lol: I've done that and thank God I found my home here! :D

Paul

Thanks, Becky!

Becky said:
If you mean that you are using only jojoba and vitamin E oil and nothing else, then no it shouldn't require a preservative. My general rule of thumb is no water = no preservative.

However, if it is something that is going to have water introduced at any time during the life of the product, then it needs a preservative. For example, a scrub that will live in the shower or next to the tub and will be scooped out of the jar with wet hands and have water splashed into it during use probably should have a preservative added.

Thanks :!: That is what I was thinking. But since I am not experience in making lotions and creams, yet...I doubt myself more often than not. :lol:

Thank you, CPSoaper!

CPSoaper said:
As has been already stated, anytime you add water, you will need a preservative. Or if you are making a product that can get water into it, you will need a preservative. Vitamin E and ROE will help extend the shelf life of your solution but will not guard against any ickeys growing in your solution.

The other thing to know, if you do not already, is that when you add oils and water together, besides a preservative, you must use an emulsifier to keep the oils and water from separating.

Thank you :!: I know a tiny but about making lotions and creams. But not enough to be confident, by any means. :lol: Many things it seems I have heard or read somewhere before...but I am glad to be able to ask and get reminded. Eventually it will all sink in and come to mind when I need it to! :lol:

Soapmaker Man said:
I made up a gallon of my body butter heavy cream today. I used Shea, Kpangnan and cocoa as the Butters, and Sweet Almond, Camilina, Macadamia Nut and Hemp Seed as the oils. I use E-wax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, and Lecithin and Natural Vitamin E in it too. I preserve with Ger mall Plus. I use distilled water and aloe vera juice as my liquids. It turned out very nice and super thick. I have a lot of it sold at my other Etsy store.

ETA: Erin, I told you this was a super nice forum! If a person wants drama and trash talk, there are several of those forums you can visit! :lol: I've done that and thank God I found my home here! :D

Paul

Thanks for the information, Paul!

Yeah, I am still a bit jumpy and almost stuck my foot in my mouth, a minute ago :!: :oops: :lol: I am so use to being critisized or whatnot...that I am way too quick to assume it, even now. *sigh* I typed up a reply to a post and then had to hurriedly go back and delete it! There was nothing wrong with the post at all and I don't know what I was thinking...taking offense to it! Oy! Thank goodness you can do that (delete a recent post) on a forum! LOL *Phew* I am glad I have found my home here, as well!

Back