Oil on Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
About ten hours later I unmolded and sliced... IT is Oily as heck!!! Like it literally slid out of the mold... When I sliced it, it pushed little beads of oils out of the bar! I can tell it isn't FO, plus I used the same amount as I always do... Possible with all the swirling and blending, I may have added too much dye and I have an abundance of water in my bars?? My dyes are the diluted LabColors... So I added an extra two or three tablespoons of water...

Any ideas? I searched the forum but got to the forth page and gave up.
:oops:

Cure5.jpg

(I asked this in another post but thought it could be it's own thread...)

It sounds like you should find out if it's water or oil.

Can you get enough of a sample to maybe put a drop in a glass of water and see if it dissolves or floats? Oil floats. Oil mixed with soap might ruin that theory. Maybe if you put a drop on a skillet at low heat? Water evaporates, oil will remain unless you scorch it.

If the drop is clear then it can't be water based dye. Is it clear?

It is slick like oil, but has no scent like FO, it is thin like water but has no color to it like the dye :roll: :roll: :?: :?:

Then it's mostly water. It sounds to me like your water you diluted your LabColors with didn't fully incorporate in your batter. But I'm just a newbie, Kitten Love do I know? :D

I'm gonna re batch it today! I hate re batching... but I hate looking at an entire 2 pound batch wasted even more... :(

Lane said:
I'm gonna re batch it today! I hate re batching... but I hate looking at an entire 2 pound batch wasted even more... :(

so how did it turn out?

SoapyGal said:
Lane said:

so how did it turn out?

Yeah, really! I rebatched my goat today and it came out perfectly, although one shade darker, but still light.

I finally found a way to successfully rebatch: crock pot!

Hi Lane!

It sounds like it separated. I've had this happen once and was told that it was likely due to getting a false trace. Not sure if I buy that or not - but there you have it.

Back