Oil Differences and what do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the final product from using any of these? I was getting ready to place an order and was faced with the following choices:

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Palm Oil - Refined Bleached Deodorized [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Palm Oil, ORGANIC, Unrefined *RED* RSPO Sustainable[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Palm Oil, Refined Organic, RSPO Sustainable[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Olive Oil - Pomace[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] Food Grade[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Olive Pomace - Rice Bran 50% Blend[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Avocado Oil - Refined - Cosmetic Grade[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, helvetica]Avocado Oil - Refined[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, helvetica] [/FONT]

Does the oils being bleached matters? I know I can buy them all and test them but I figured I can buy other oils I need instead.

I would love to know which ones you use.

Thank you in advance.

I think it depends on what you are doing, what you want your result to be and what level of processing you want. Olive oil - I buy pomace. Because it's cheaper. I don't get the olive oil/ rice bran blend b/c I priced it out and it was cheaper to buy the rice bran and the pomace separately.

Avocado - I have been told here that the cosmetic grade avocado is not 100% avocado, but is a blend of avocado oils and other oils to have the same SAP value as avocado oil. That seems weird to me, but next time I order from Soaper's Choice I'll be calling to ask about that.

I think it depends on what you are doing, what you want your result to be and what level of processing you want. Olive oil - I buy pomace. Because it's cheaper. I don't get the olive oil/ rice bran blend b/c I priced it out and it was cheaper to buy the rice bran and the pomace separately.

Avocado - I have been told here that the cosmetic grade avocado is not 100% avocado, but is a blend of avocado oils and other oils to have the same SAP value as avocado oil. That seems weird to me, but next time I order from Soaper's Choice I'll be calling to ask about that.
That is what I was told when I emailed Soaper's Choice a few years ago. I was actually inquiring about one of the other cosmetic grade oils but was told all cosmetic grade oils is a mix of oils with similiar fatty acid profiles along with the main listed oil

Just my humble opinion:

On the top one, I would go for refined and RSPO Palm - I believe that gives you a lighter soap. Personally I won't buy non RSPO sustainable palm - even if it might not be doing all that its supposed to, at least its a step in the right direction.

Never buy a blend unless its a blend you would make yourself - get the Pomace Olive Oil

Your choice really on the Avocado oil - I'm not super clear on how food grade relates to cosmetic grade. Whichever is cheaper?

Edit - if its a mix - go for pure instead!

Edit for noticing RED - dont buy red palm oil unless you want to use it as an easy way to get color in your soaps :) I quite like swirling red and white palm batter.

Last edited:
The second palm labeled *RED* will make your soap really orange-yellow.

The difference between the 1st and 3rd is the RSPO certification. The first one is sourced generally, and the 2nd and 3rd are only sourced from sustainable certified suppliers.

Latest posts

Back