oil coming out of my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
I made a soap using coconut oil,pomace olive oil and castor oil.It has been 45 days since i have taken out of the mold and kept for curing.Now i notice some oil residues in the soap bar.
Why is it so? can someone let me know the reason.

To provide assistance, we would need to know the full recipe, including all ingredients, any additives like fragrance, and the process you used to make the soap (CP, HP, CPOP, etc). If you can provide a picture of that problem, that's a big help, too.

The recipe is castor oil 2oz,coconut oil 7oz,pomace olive oil 24oz,water 12oz,lye 4.5oz.Some drops of cedar wood fragance oil.For color I used sandalwood powder and wild turmeric powder.The images are attached.

Attachments

• fig 1.jpg
    fig 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 22
  • fig2.jpg
    fig2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 23
Thank you, that helps. I am guessing that you hot-processed this soap, given the water amount you used. Is that correct? They look very nice for hot process.

Are the spots actually oily and weeping? If so, it is probably some fragrance oil that didn't get completely mixed in (easy to do), or a bit of turmeric that didn't get completely mixed in (also easy to do).

If it is fragrance oil, it will normally reabsorb, but since it has already been curing 45 days, it may not. You can wipe them off.

If it is unmixed turmeric, it is just cosmetic and doesn't affect the soap usage.

If these spots are not oily, but feel the same as the rest of the soap, you may have Dreaded Orange Spots, aka DOS. That is a sign of rancidity, and can be caused by a variety of things: curing in too much light or humidity, contact with metal, or using non-distilled water.

Thanks for your response .I used cold process method.Can you suggest me what is the best way to cure.I place a kitchen tissue in a plastic tray and above that i placed soaps for curing and i place in my room.
can i add water and make it like paste and use as liquid soap if it is affected by DOS

Curing on a paper towel (is that the same as a kitchen tissue?) on top of a plastic tray is fine, as long as the soap has good air flow around each of the bars. Turning or rotating the bars periodically is sometimes suggested to allow more air flow to all surfaces. So if your room has good ventilation, that should be fine.

If your soaps are on top of a tissue or paper towel and leaking oil, it should be evident on the tissue or paper towel. I once made a soap that leaked the fragrance oil for what seemed like forever. I kept waiting for it to re-absorb like is supposed to happen and it never did. I was pretty sure I measured correctly when I made the soap, but perhaps I somehow made an error with my scale and added too much of the fragrance. That soap had a real oily feel to it when rubbed with a paper towel.

Is that the only bar with an orange spot? If so, I suggest cutting it off and seeing what's underneath. You may find more seepage, or you may find beige soap.

To answer your question about turning the bars of soap into a liquid-like soap if it has DOS, sure you could, but why not just use the bars as is? Until the DOS starts smelling rancid, they are still usable as bar soap. Once it starts smelling bad, though, you probably wouldn't want to use it simply because it's not a pleasant odor.

Curing on a paper towel (is that the same as a kitchen tissue?) on top of a plastic tray is fine, as long as the soap has good air flow around each of the bars. Turning or rotating the bars periodically is sometimes suggested to allow more air flow to all surfaces. So if your room has good ventilation, that should be fine.

If your soaps are on top of a tissue or paper towel and leaking oil, it should be evident on the tissue or paper towel. I once made a soap that leaked the fragrance oil for what seemed like forever. I kept waiting for it to re-absorb like is supposed to happen and it never did. I was pretty sure I measured correctly when I made the soap, but perhaps I somehow made an error with my scale and added too much of the fragrance. That soap had a real oily feel to it when rubbed with a paper towel.

Is that the only bar with an orange spot? If so, I suggest cutting it off and seeing what's underneath. You may find more seepage, or you may find beige soap.

To answer your question about turning the bars of soap into a liquid-like soap if it has DOS, sure you could, but why not just use the bars as is? Until the DOS starts smelling rancid, they are still usable as bar soap. Once it starts smelling bad, though, you probably wouldn't want to use it simply because it's not a pleasant odor.
Thanks for your reply.Thank you very much

Hallo! Is it humid right now where you are?

It is where I am.. Always haha.
Before I bought a dehumidifier for the room where I cure/store my soap, some of them sweat - and if they've been doing it for some time without me wiping them off, I did notice several bars that had what looked like thick oil beads on them. They were always darker than the oils I used, mostly Amber-ish in color. When wiped of they felt like a cross between water and oily soap. When they dried without me wiping them the soap had a mottled look.

Is this what you're experiencing?

You're welcome :)
I noticed you're in India so depending on which part you're in we have similar climates, that's why I thought of it.

If it is the same thing then it's an easy fix even without a dehumidifier - keep a fan on them and check em once in a while so you can wipe off anything that shouldn't be there.

You're welcome :)
I noticed you're in India so depending on which part you're in we have similar climates, that's why I thought of it.

If it is the same thing then it's an easy fix even without a dehumidifier - keep a fan on them and check em once in a while so you can wipe off anything that shouldn't be there.
Iam from Thanjavur in Tamilnadu.Thanks for your reply

Back