Oil Blends-How can I use them???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadiebugs1

Reaction score
I picked up 2 different Oil Blends
1) Olive & Basil- Ingredients-Pure Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Basil & Lemon Juice Concentrate.
2) Omega Plus Extra Virgin Oils (8.5oz. for $1.49!)-Ingredients-EV Avacado Oil, EV Olive Oil, Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil

I'm wondering how I can make soap out of these????

Anybody?
(I don't know if it's possible, but they JUST HAVE TO BE TURNED INTO SOAP SOMEHOW! :lol: )

Well I could be wrong, but I think you would do better creating your own oil blends. Differnt oils have different SAP values which will determine the correct amount of lye to use. If you don't know what the percentage is of each oil in that blend, then you run the risk of having your soap turn out to be lye heavy or overly superfatted.

Hi!

pjb31apb is correct. Also - I have read that lemon juice can deactivate lye? and cause other problems. It's not the same as lemon essential oils. Lots of acid. I haven't tried it because I have read not to. Your oil could have a very small amount in it that wouldn't harm the recipe but I would try a very small batch to test.

Oh, they are both very small bottles, 8.5 and 14oz. Guess what I'll try is to see what the SAP values are for each oil, etc. figure out what would be a good lye amount and just try it. That's all I want to do anyway, TRY it. One bottle was free, the other only a buck in a half so figured what do I have to loose but a few ounces of lye? I wondered about the lemon juice also, so I'm guessing that could 'deactivate' some of the lye, so to speak? It would be hard to figure out, not knowing what percentages of which oil/ingredients are in the bottle, though.
Anywho, I'll just give it my most edjumacated guess and see what happens! Thanks for some input. If anybody's interested....I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks

How about using some of these oil blends to superfatten your soap and adding them at trace. I'm still a newbie so correct me if this is not possible.

Id say that would probably be your best bet, to use them for superfatting purposes...

otherwise you would have to call the company to figure out exactly what percentages of the oils were in the formulations (they definitely know this for budgeting and quality control purposes..., if theyre willing to share it is another issue...might think your trying to steal their precious recipe or something lol), then calculate it by weight, which you could then input in a soapcalc and figure them in with the rest of your recipe...like if you were going to use 1 cup of said oil, it would be x% this y % this, b% this c% this....which would translate into whatever amount of grams from the percentages (i like working in grams just for accuracy's sake..)

and then work it out in soapcalc from there

hows that sound?

I've never superfatted in this manner before though, would I calculate the base recipe at 0% SF then just add like one Tbs. of the blend per pound of base oils? OR MORE?

I think that would be a safe bet (but im not very experienced in that respect..) Id ask paul or tab or someone you trust before you did it just to be safe...

I think that would work though

Hello again.....just wanted to give this a little bump incase those with the knowledge missed it! After my last post, I got to thinking.......
This makes more sense to me.....
Make the original recipe at 0% SF. Then add an additonal 5% in weight of the oil blend at trace. (for example: for 24 total oz. of oils calculate the recipe for 22.8 oz. add the lye for that at 0% SF, then add the 1.2oz. of oil blend at trace)
Does that make sense anybody?? I want to try this tomorrow so I'm hoping to get some feedback before then.
Thanks!

Hi!

I am of the growing school of thought that - in CP soapmaking - the lye cannot distinguish between oils that were added to the lye at the beginning of the process and oils that are added at trace. Saponification happens in the mold and it just makes sense that the lye will chemically react with everything that is in the mold with it. Meaning - your lye could react with your superfat oils and not the oils you want it to.

This type of superfatting works with Hot Process soaping because the saponification happens during the cook and you add the superfat after the lye has done it's job.

hmmmm....never thought of that either and never tried HP. Don't even know how it's done......don't want to yet either, though. Wan't to try to tame the beast of CP a little better before attempting yet another "project" type.
Thanks for the input.

Back