Oh, the Pain!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incrtalent

Reaction score
I don't know, guys, but it seems like the more I learn about this biz the more I know I don't know! Those of you who have been nuturing me through kindergarten understand that I really just got into this last August, and I've been on fact-finding and creative missions ever since. (I do M & P, so most of you will consider me STILL in kindergarten, especially since I do very to-the-point M & P bars, not particularly artsy.) Still, a few months later, this is what I'm up to: I STILL have labeling issues, although I'm making it work for now. (Personally, I believe that anyone who has neither a graphics background nor the thousands of dollars to invest in a graphics design artist AND label printing probably has these issues, too.) Despite this, I've managed to get into a few retail stores, (amazingly enough), but some of the ones I want to pursue I CAN'T because NOW I understand I need $2 mil in product liability insurance AND UPC codes. FABULOUS. I've JUST NOW gotten to the point where my pricing structure has allowed me to be able to repurchase my supplies WITHOUT dumping extra money into my account AND I actually have a few bucks left in there. Not much, but a victory of sorts. It means I'm getting warmer! Still, even the craft shows (Howard Allen) seem to want this insurance as well. Yes, I know I can get it through the Soap Maker's Guild, (which I would like to join), but it would cost over 5 bills to get that! Suggestions, recommendations, Xanax?

Anyone dealt with these issues (insurance, UPC codes), and if so, eagerly awaiting detailed feedback. I'd send you a bar of soap, but you all already have PLENTY!

haven't dealt with those issues specifically, but i've been running another side business for 3 years now and according to my taxes this year i still put out more than i brought in. i was using my day job to fund the starting of my business.

words of wisdom: it takes some time to really get up and running and its nice if you can do it slowly, acquiring things as you need/can afford them. you, your business, and your finances will grow together.

I've JUST NOW gotten to the point where my pricing structure has allowed me to be able to repurchase my supplies WITHOUT dumping extra money into my account AND I actually have a few bucks left in there.
I comend you for getting to this point (clap, clap). You have acomplished much! If your hobby/business supports itself you have done a gtreat job!

I find the one of the best ways to learn is from people who have already been there. Incrtalent, you have done very well. Please don't get discouraged. I'm learning alot from your learning process. Thanks for sharing.

Ha! Glad to do my little part! :)

Yes, I really would like to pick the brains of the veterans, (as much as they'll let me), because they've been in the trenches. Some people don't like to listen; but I'm not one of them!

I so appreciate the encouragement. It CAN be discouraging, but every time I get too disouraged, I get mad and that makes me dig in even more. I keep telling myself I CAN DO THIS!

Thanks again--
Lisa

I went into a health food store today and someone south of Springfield has their soap for sale in there. It has UPC code on the label on the back. They did not have a weight, and I think the bars might weigh 3 ounces each, and retailed for $4.95 to $6.00 per bar. Their selling point was that each bar has 1/3 ounce of emu oil in it. I had never sen a handcrafted local soap before with a UPC on it. This thread made me think to look though. :wink:

Latest posts

Back