Oh! THAT Dove commercial.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think I remember reading a post a while back with a discussion about whether or not the Dove commercial had validity to its claims. Well now I can't find the thread, but I think that I have finally seen the commercial and now I want to know whether there's anything to it.

I know that we seem a bit Dove obsessed sometimes. I feel like I have seen Dove mentioned on this forum more than any other soap. So please forgive me if you are thinking "not another Dove discussion please". :yawn:

Anyway the claim that I am referencing is that regular soap breaks down protein on skin, which is harmful, and that Dove does not do this to skin.

I know I am late to the party, but I don't watch TV. I happen tto have been visiting relatives who had their TV turned on while I was at their house. This commercial came on at least 3 times during the hour that I was watching.

Yes. It's the commercial with the papers that dissolve.

The link led me to a general home page. Is there a name of the article? I will google it.

I no longer care what dove says. Their soap gave my daughter chemical burns. My sister was burned by theirs soap but no where near the extent to which my child suffered. It took months for the child to fully recover. I have to teach the poor girl to not get caught up with how a soap looks but She's the main reason why I want to make soap. If other people like my soaps, that's fine but my baby's my number one concern. That said, they are just over-priced commercial trash in my eyes.

I no longer care what dove says. Their soap gave my daughter chemical burns. My sister was burned by theirs soap but no where near the extent to which my child suffered. It took months for the child to fully recover. I have to teach the poor girl to not get caught up with how a soap looks but She's the main reason why I want to make soap. If other people like my soaps, that's fine but my baby's my number one concern. That said, they are just over-priced commercial trash in my eyes.

Wow- that sounds awful.

I don't know anything about breaking down the proteins in skin...all I know is that before I started making my own soap, I used Dove for years, believing all the hype that I saw on TV. And for all those years my skin was so dry that I used to go to bed at night with my face slathered in Vaseline, trying to moisturize my dry skin. Now, after using my soap for almost ten years, I barely have to use any moisturizer on my face at all, just a few drops of olive squalane, and I'm 65. I don't know how anyone uses that stuff. But their marketing is really effective. When you ask anyone who uses commercial soap, which is the gentlest, the best for your skin, I'm sure nine out of ten would answer "Dove." But I bet none of them have ever tried handmade soap. Even a fairly crappy bar of handmade soap is so much better than any commercial bar I've ever used.

I'm trying to remember what soap I used to buy before becoming enlightened. :-? I know it wasn't Dove because my skin felted....coated....gooped up...or something after using it.

Anyone ever figure out where how the heck they can get away with claiming that there's 1/4 cup moisturizing cream in every bar? I still pick up a box and read their ingredient list - guess I'm hoping they'd decided to be honest after all!

That "moisturizer" thing drives me nuts. When my friends use my soap, sometimes they ask me what moisturizers I put in my soap. :Kitten Love: at first I would go into explanation of what soap is and how it is made and that there isn't a need for moisturizers in handmade soap. Now I just I tell them, "olive oil, castor oil, cocoa butter...". They just start ooooing and aaaahing.

That "moisturizer" thing drives me nuts. When my friends use my soap, sometimes they ask me what moisturizers I put in my soap. :Kitten Love: at first I would go into explanation of what soap is and how it is made and that there isn't a need for moisturizers in handmade soap. Now I just I tell them, "olive oil, castor oil, cocoa butter...". They just start ooooing and aaaahing.

Ain't that the number one way to get customers? Just list the "good" ingredients and don't tell them about the crisco. ;-)

Hahaha! That's right!

Who needs Dove and their 1/4 moisturizer. I can see it now, speaking in a uppity tone of voice "MY handmade bars are 1/4 Crisco. They are *highly* moisturizing. And over here I have my 1/4 lard soap....". Nothing but blank stares from the customer. "Okay maybe I should explain how soap is made. You see, there isn't any Crisco left in the soap....". Customer walks off.

I'm trying to remember what soap I used to buy before becoming enlightened. :-? I know it wasn't Dove because my skin felted....coated....gooped up...or something after using it.

Even as a child (like 7, 8, 9 years old!) I hated Dove for the exact same reason. I always felt sticky and coated with some kind of residue.. I didnt know the goodness of handmade soap at the time, but I refused to use Dove and made my mom buy me different soap lol

Have you watched Soaping 101's video, the one in which she recreates the ubiquitous Dove bar? She comments on the 1/4 moisturizing cream claim by saying that moisturizing cream is really nothing more than emulsified oils and liquids. Our hand crafted soaps use oils and liquids so, realistically, they're also made with moisturizing cream. There's just lye added to it to turn it into soap. Dove just adds a few other ingredients that aren't needed, including one or two that are nearly impossible to say. Because we don't add those unnecessary ingredients/chemicals, there's a good chance that our hand crafted soaps have even more moisturizing cream than Dove does.

Have you watched Soaping 101's video, the one in which she recreates the ubiquitous Dove bar? She comments on the 1/4 moisturizing cream claim by saying that moisturizing cream is really nothing more than emulsified oils and liquids. Our hand crafted soaps use oils and liquids so, realistically, they're also made with moisturizing cream. There's just lye added to it to turn it into soap. Dove just adds a few other ingredients that aren't needed, including one or two that are nearly impossible to say. Because we don't add those unnecessary ingredients/chemicals, there's a good chance that our hand crafted soaps have even more moisturizing cream than Dove does.

I like it. So that means that my soap is 100% moisturizing cream. :D

I already know one of my soaps is good for my skin (haven't tried it with my daughter yet). The other three batches were just made unfortunately and are really recipe testers.

Back