Oh No! Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my 4th batch of CP soap, and my first attempt at swirl. It has only been curing 3 hours in a warm oven and seems to be sweating an orange oil (I didn't use an orange oil). I can post my recipe & process if that helps.

That's not DOS, the excess oil on the top should reabsorb. Just leave it 24 hrs and check it then. I don't gel mine, when that happened to me, I took mine out of the frig and just let it sit on the bench and it reabsorbed and fixed itself.

It was so long ago, but from what I remember I might have added to much FO. It never happened again and I've lost track of how many logs I've made since then, so don't worry too much.

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks for the reassurance! My first 2 batches also sweated and then reabsorbed or evaporated or something, but the sweat wasn't orange. I'll wait a few days to panic about it. :)

I could just be glycerin. Remember when you make soap, you're also making glycerin. It will absorb too.

It appears that you have "steraic spots". If you emulsify too cold and have butters this can happen.

What temperature was your oven? What temperature were your oils?

By the way, great job on the swirl! No one would have guessed that it was your first.

Thanks! It was just dumb luck that I got any swirls at all because it was a new recipe and it didn't happen to start to thicken up until I was almost done. I wonder if I even emulsified it well enough.

Also I did have butters, mango, shea, and cocoa, and they were starting to get cool enough that I saw an opaque streak that made me think I should hurry or they might start to solidify. I would have popped them back in the microwave but I was afraid to with the lye in it already. My lye was in the garage so it was warm to start (maybe 105) but I ended up letting it sit awhile inside, so it could have gone all the way down to room temp (79). The oils sorta felt 95-100 before the lye (by mom's-hand method).

I had the oven at 170 with the intent to leave it in for an hour, but chickened out because I added honey to the recipe. So I left it at 170 for maybe 5 minutes, then turned the oven off and let it sit in the warm oven.

I also happened to think, I used 10x orange EO, did I see somewhere that could turn orange? Maybe another possible culprit? So many variables!

You should always turn your oven off when using it to gel your soap. Leaving it turned on can heat your soap too much. Is your orange EO orange in color? Mine is and can lightly tint uncolored soap. Your droplets are most like colored from the EO.

I had to go and check on the EO, and it's not the least bit orange! I also searched to see if I was remembering or making up that orange turns orange, and I found a SQ post on orange OE where she does say that their 10x fold j
IMG_20180913_083720.jpg
orange:
https://www.soapqueen.com/bramble-berry-news/sunday-night-spotlight-orange-essential-oil/
So I guess it's possible it's the orange even though the orange isn't orange o_O
It could be so many things!

Hello, The image shows droplets that appear on the cold process soap I Made yesterday and covered up with a plastic sheet. There's also a tint of Orange which shouldn't be from the eo which is 100% peppermint. Maybe it could come from the oils: one of them is sesame oil macerated with calendula. The drops don't smell as though they come from the eo, nor are they especially oily. This happens to me often and I usually wipe off the drops but this time I'll wait to see if they disappear into the soap or the atmosphere. I must add that I live in a tropical climate so this might have to do with the dew. And, since this post refers to DOS, I'd like to add that when I make soap I make 4 different fragrances (with eos) in the same batch and the only fragrance which sometimes develops DOS is this one, with 100% peppermint eo. Could this be related to the eo or is it because the peppermint soaps are the last ones I mix the eos to and pour in the molds and usually considerable time has elapsed since trace and the mixture is pretty hard?

I'm sorry, I uploaded the picture of my soaps before I wrote the post and now I see it inside Michelle Gaylor's post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, The image shows droplets that appear on the cold process soap I Made yesterday and covered up with a plastic sheet. There's also a tint of Orange which shouldn't be from the eo which is 100% peppermint. Maybe it could come from the oils: one of them is sesame oil macerated with calendula. The drops don't smell as though they come from the eo, nor are they especially oily. This happens to me often and I usually wipe off the drops but this time I'll wait to see if they disappear into the soap or the atmosphere. I must add that I live in a tropical climate so this might have to do with the dew. And, since this post refers to DOS, I'd like to add that when I make soap I make 4 different fragrances (with eos) in the same batch and the only fragrance which sometimes develops DOS is this one, with 100% peppermint eo. Could this be related to the eo or is it because the peppermint soaps are the last ones I mix the eos to and pour in the molds and usually considerable time has elapsed since trace and the mixture is pretty hard?

I'm sorry, I uploaded the picture of my soaps before I wrote the post and now I see it inside Michelle Gaylor's post.

You may want to start your own new topic rather than tack on to someone elses.

18 hours later, in case anyone's curious. The orange oil is thicker now, like lard, or maybe more like it has a matte skin on it. When I touch it with my finger it turns shiny again. The garage is about 85°F.

IMG_4462.JPG

I think your soap overheated.

Next time I’d preheat your oven to 120* F and turn it off when you put your soap in. Put your soap in a cardboard box and wrap it in a towel before you put it in the oven and leave it without peeking for 12-18 hrs.

Back