Oh No! A possible Disaster?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubrianne

Reaction score
I made two batches of soap a few days ago.

One with pureed carrots and one with shredded coconut.

They are both really soft and kind of crumbly around the edges.

They had honey in them so i kept them in the fridge, and when I cut

I used the same recipe i always use.

Is it maybe the additives? It's just weird because they ahve the same consistency.

Can I save it?

Should I just let it sit for a few weeks?

Your temperatures were off... the crumbling etc..
You have to be patient with this type of hobby.. your rushing still..
how long has it been sitting

and we need to see the recipe your are using in order to help

Carrot Soap

Coconut oil-30%-4.8 oz
Olive-50%-8 oz
Canola-20%-3.2 oz

Pureed Carrots-6 oz
Lye-2.27 oz

Reserved a bit of olive oil and heated it with about a TBS of honey
At trace I added Cinnamon and a little FO. and the honey/oil mixture.

Coconut soap

Coconut oil-30%-4.8 oz
Olive-50%-8 oz
Canola-20%-3.2 oz

Tomato Juice-6 oz
Lye-2.27 oz

at trace i added 2 TBS shredded coconut and a little fo

Oh, its been out of the molds for a day. i panicked early. i apologize.

it is beautiful soap though.

Im afraid your soft is going to be in there for awhile..

70% of your soap is soft oils.. it will take a L O N G time for that to harden up, and to come out of the mold.

The coconut is good..
but using
Palm,
Palm kernel
Cocoa Butter... would have helped it be harden by now.
i would cut back the Oilve and add a hard oil to it.

Your lye and fluid is correct. Its just going to be awhile before it gets hard.

Smellitlikeitis is dead on, 8) too much soft oils. :cry: Olive is considered a "hard" oil, but by itself, takes a LONG cure time, months, to get hard! I keep my hard oils, not counting OO as a "hard" oil at first, at 55 to 60% total oils/fats weight. This will give you a harder bar quicker.
You can try adding a teaspoon PPO of table salt stirred into your lye solution really good. Sodium Lactate in a 60% solution is a hardener too, but I prefer plain old salt! It does really work.

Paul.... :wink:

I can make a mean castille soap though.. with a little castor.. and deep water discount it.. it hardens up quick in a few hours...

love it.

smellitlikeitis said:
I can make a mean castille soap though.. with a little castor.. and deep water discount it.. it hardens up quick in a few hours...

love it.

Wow S. my Castiles took 6 months to get really hard. I soaped at, I think a 34% solution, a moderate discount.

I will go through my files and give you the recipe.. it was a matter of hours its really cool to watch it transform..

My castile hardens up quickly as well.

I use:
90% OO
5% castor
5% Babassu
I always use sodium lactate (1 oz ppo) and silk in all my batches of batches.

The castor and babassu help the lather and cut down on bit on the more "slimey" feel of the olive oil.

With my other recipes, I stay around a 60/40 or with some recipes a 50/50 split of hard oils to soft oils. I prefer the 60/40 split the most. While a higher amount of soft oils typically makes for a more conditioning bar, your bar will not last as long since it will be softer.

90% Olive
10% Castor

Plug in your lye amount and water
and take a 40% discount

this will be hard in a matter of few hours so watch it so you can cut it so it doesnt get so hard on you ...

Thanks guys for the recipes! My Castile was 90/10 OO/Castor. Next time, I'll take a deeper discount, and add a touch of coconut and PKO.

I hate the slimy feeling of Castile I made. Gave most of it to my brother for his toddler to use.

Latest posts

Back