Oh, Deer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowieRoll

Reaction score
These pictures were taken recently from our trail cam, one right after the other. Thought I'd share the cuteness!

STC 0182.jpg

STC 0183.jpg

I love how curious deer are! At the park where I walk my dog there is a black cat out hunting in the fields all the time. Well the other day a deer was sneaking up on the cat while it sat in the field! I SO wished I had my camera along! When the dog and I came by and stopped to watch both the deer and the cat turned to look at us, but nobody ran. (about 30 yards away) The deer went back to stalking the cat, who was watching it come. Finally the cat turned and walked off when the deer got too close, but it never ran, and the deer was not at all scared of it. So cool!

What gorgeous shots! How lovely that you have such a fabulous trail near you. I am quite envious, HowieRoll.

When my sons were still single-digit ages, we used to hand feed the deer at Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. The were so sweet and friendly. They'd come right to the corral across from the Ranger Station and museum, and just wait for people to feed them oats. The little store sold the oats in tiny little paper bags for feeding the deer. I took so many incredible close-up shots of the deer eating out of our hands! I wish they were digitalized. (Maybe someday I will get around to doing that.)

You can't do that anymore at Big Basin. The corral is still there, but no deer ever come close and haven't for many years. And the store stopped selling the oats. Every time I go to Santa Cruz county, I take a ride through the park for old times sake and reminisce.

Awww, you people can`t keep doing this to me! First dibbles` link to hummingboid`s, now this...

*Heart `splodes of wildlife cuteness*

The closeup one where she is looking deep into the camera lens, I can hear what she is thinking:

What is that thing... *sniff-sniff*
-Is there someone in there? I heard a click! Hello?
-Do you have noms?
-Can you come out and play?
-Hellooo?
-Noms?

(yes I know, animals don`t think like that... But I do, so...) o_O

What great shots, HowieRoll! I love when wildlife get curious and close to the camera. My hubby usually gets a few pics of a large cow's eye, nothing else, just the eye area. It's a bit startling at first, then you just have to laugh. It reminds me of an old Gary Larson cartoon. A guy is driving alone on a dark night, looking into his side mirror. At the bottom of the mirror it says "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear". The only thing you see in the mirror is a HUGE eyeball. Yes, the look on the driver's face is pure panic, lol.

What gorgeous shots! How lovely that you have such a fabulous trail near you. I am quite envious, HowieRoll.

When my sons were still single-digit ages, we used to hand feed the deer at Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz mountains in California. The were so sweet and friendly. They'd come right to the corral across from the Ranger Station and museum, and just wait for people to feed them oats. The little store sold the oats in tiny little paper bags for feeding the deer. I took so many incredible close-up shots of the deer eating out of our hands! I wish they were digitalized. (Maybe someday I will get around to doing that.)

You can't do that anymore at Big Basin. The corral is still there, but no deer ever come close and haven't for many years. And the store stopped selling the oats. Every time I go to Santa Cruz county, I take a ride through the park for old times sake and reminisce.

My family used to camp in Big Basin when I was a teenager! Loved the walk in camp sites. Lots of deer and raccoons would wander by.

My family used to camp in Big Basin when I was a teenager! Loved the walk in camp sites. Lots of deer and raccoons would wander by.

You sparked another Big Basin memory for me TBandCW. I was scolded by a Park Ranger there when I was in my 20's, for rescuing an injured racoon on Hwy 236. It was in the middle of the road unable to walk off to the side and I wrapped him in a blanket and drove him to the nearest Ranger I could find to get medical help. I was scolded because 'Racoons can be vicious' and was warned never to approach an injured wild animal in the Park.

You sparked another Big Basin memory for me TBandCW. I was scolded by a Park Ranger there when I was in my 20's, for rescuing an injured racoon on Hwy 236. It was in the middle of the road unable to walk off to the side and I wrapped him in a blanket and drove him to the nearest Ranger I could find to get medical help. I was scolded because 'Racoons can be vicious' and was warned never to approach an injured wild animal in the Park.

Yes, they were pretty adamant about staying away from the raccoons and keeping your dogs inside at night. One came into our campsite one night while we were still up and took the foil from the campfire. So stealthy the dogs didn't even hear him!

I couldn't have left the poor animal in the road either!

The "a-doe-able" "curious doe" would thank you all for your compliments, but she's pretty shy and bashful so I am acting proxy to say thanks!

KristaY, thanks for bringing up Gary Larson. I haven't thought of Far Side in years but remember just how much his work made me laugh (and I remember the cartoon you were writing of)!

earlene, how utterly sweet of you to rescue that raccoon! And I'll give a plug to licensed wildlife rehabilitation centers to say that they can be found in all states, and anyone can call to get advice if an injured/sick/orphaned wild animal is found. In some instances the center may be able to dispatch a staff member or volunteer to get the animal, depending on the circumstances. HERE is a list from the Humane Society of the United States about how to find one in your area (but of course they are found in many countries beyond the US!). I've been with a rehab center for 7 years and there are many people who are unaware such organizations exist so thought I'd take the opportunity to spread the word!

Back