Oh dear! Not what I was going for

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
So I've entered the Great Cakes Challenge this month for the first time in months. The challenge is to create a teardrop suspended in soap like this:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1462800350.340485.jpg

Now try not to laugh too hard but this was my first attempt

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1462800431.697211.jpg

I have no words or clue as to what went wrong??

My 2nd attempt was a little better but still not a teardrop

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1462800489.609753.jpg

I love the colors in the second one! And really, it's no worse than some of the challenge soaps I've seen for that challenge on youtube. :)

No laughing from me, who sucks at anything but plain soap. I think the second one is gorgeous. My guess is that the soap in the example may be a happy accident, and chances are that even the maker might not be able to duplicate it. You know that any soap design has sooooo many variables. Change one and you get something entirely different. But regardless of whether it's a teardrop or not, I'd be very happy with the second one. :thumbup:

Good on you trying twice. Hope third time is the charm. Looks like a tough challenge - as always simple is difficult.

Thank you for showing your not so perfect technique attempts. I get a little discouraged at times that I'm still not "there" after 30 batches.

The first one reminds me of two giraffes scanning the area.

Lol!! So it does!!! It shall be forever known as giraffe soap!!

Thanks for the kind words. I really don't know what happened to the first attempt! My 3rd attempt went much better!

Looks like a tricky technique, glad it went well 3rd time round. Love your colours in the second attempt, it's really pretty. :)

Ah right, I see. I use a 4 bar mould for the challenges which holds around 420g of oil. I didn't have any batter left in my first two attempts but I purposefully made a larger than needed batch for my third attempt for a couple of reasons. One being my stepdaughter wanted to pour a bar of soap

Here's her finished bar

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1462834038.836938.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1462834051.797721.jpg

It's gorgeous for her first attempt. I bet she really enjoyed it!

Pretty cool sonya! Practice makes perfect.

Yes I think you are right. I meant wasteful as in they would have to have at least 1/2 cup of batter left over. They probably have a small mold to cater for such events!

Penelope, I use a makeshift cylindrical mold for such occasions, because it will accommodate almost any amount of extra batter without any waste. A pringles can is my fave because it can be easily lined with freezer paper, no fuss no muss.

Sonya, I did laugh at your second attempt, I have to admit, but just because you showed me what you were going for. Did you pour thick for that one? On its own, I think it's dang cool and I love the giraffe sighting! I've seen other teardrops with that little rim coming out and honestly, I like it better than the smooth teardrop. Challenge is for the smooth one though. We had the teardrops in the browsing thread; it's actually a nice way to get colors in the middle of the soap for swirling a spot of color right in the middle. Very useful!

Back