Official entry thread: SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Challenge date has been extended until the 27th at 11:59 pm Eastern time zone!

Sorry its 8 hours late!

Please post your SMF september challenge entry in this thread. No commenting please. Please go to the original thread if you would like to comment.

Rules for submission:

What do I need to see when you submit an entry?
1. A picture of your soap when first cut

2. A picture of the soap after discoloration (minimum 48 hours)

3. If you used color in your DFO section for mixing purposes, I need to see the uncolored soap after a minimum of 48 hours so we can tell whether or not it's lighter/darker than the FO color. It would probably be good if both the soap with color and the uncolored soap were in the same picture. Remember, this only applies if you have no other section of your soap with your DFO added and no color added.

4. What FO did you use? What amounts? Did you gel your soap?

Edits/clarifications as we go:
You CAN use sports team colors for your "brand" color
You CAN use a discoloring EO as your discoloring FO (I mean, EOs are fragrances after all.)
You CAN use multiple discoloring FO's in one batch.
You CAN use brown as your label color (still not exactly happy with it but ok)

Last edited:
I did Brambleberry's Turkish Mocha, Joy Of Cooking white on contrast, I did CPoP the batch.

Not the fanciest one I've seen in the challenge but I'm really happy with how it came out

eta: did the fragrance at 7%

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0674.jpg

mocha latte soap.jpg

Last edited:
I totally flubbed it, I took a pic. of the loaf before CPOPing but forgot to take a picture of the cut bars after I did the cut. I will still post pics of both soaps I did to show differences in discoloration w/different CPOP times using the same FO's because I think it is interesting and will make me feel Ok about having a vote, though!

I totally flubbed it, I took a pic. of the loaf before CPOPing but forgot to take a picture of the cut bars after I did the cut. I will still post pics of both soaps I did to show differences in discoloration w/different CPOP times using the same FO's because I think it is interesting and will make me feel Ok about having a vote, though!

Please post comments in the challenge thread and not the official entry thread. (Sorry)

I was going for a Brambleberry/Soap Making Forum brown, sage green and cream.
I used 9gr BB Vanilla Select & 4gr BB Turkish Mocha in half my batter and divided the remaining half in two parts for the other two colors. However it appears that very little of the other two colors appeared (is it possible for FO to bleed into your non-fragranced portion?), although I think I'll get over it, because it smells heavenly. I did not gel.

The bottom left is right out of the mold, bottom right is freshly cut, and top is with a couple of days curing.

pU5ovmJ.jpg

My challenge entry is Dragon's Blood in Dr. Pepper burgundy. FO blend is Elements Dragon's Blood (63%), Elements Sweet Patchouli (22%) and NG Teakwood and Cardamom (15%) - total fragrance was at 5% of the batch. The discoloration is primarily due to the dragon's blood. The only portion without FO is the TD white. The rest is scented and colored with Nurture Vibrance Red, Mad Oils Black Oyster, and the brown is uncolored. I did gel this batch. The first picture is just cut, the second after 48 hours, and the third after one week. I'm happy with the swirl and I think I nailed the brand color.

20150911_043343.jpg
20150914_141924.jpg
20150918_184126.jpg

Last edited:
I used Aztec's Eggnog FO, that has 10% vanillin. I used 32 ounces of oils & used 1 oz dfo. at 5% I used Fanta Soda color & TD in both the scented & unscented batter, & I also left some of the unscented uncolored, & some of scented batter uncolored.

in the mold-
temporary_68.jpg

first cut-
temporary_70.jpg

after 24 hours-
temporary_66.jpg

after 48 hours-
temporary_76.jpg

I used in the very dark brown as my discoloring fo Vanilla Milk from MO. The lighter brown is NOT my entry discoloring fo, and it contains Chipotle Caramel from BB with copper and mocha micas.
My brand is Hello Kitty Pink.
Vanilla milk by mo .5 oz in dark black brown only*
Chipotle Caramel by bb .35 oz in tan and a little in the pink only.

Picture 1 my separated cups so you can see the full cup in the left which received only my dfo, vanilla milk, and no colorants were added.*

(Remaining cups had TD, a pink mix with caramel chipotle, and the gold brown mix with caramel chipotle.)

Pic 2 in mold.

Pic 3 after cpop, beginning of discoloration.

Pic 4 fresh cut.

Pic 5 a days discoloration.

Pic 6-9 completed discoloration, final soap.

Pic 10 brand.

IMAG2555.jpg

IMAG2560_1.jpg

IMAG2574_1.jpg

IMAG2578_1.jpg

IMAG2580_1.jpg

IMAG2634_1.jpg

IMAG2637.jpg

IMAG2638_1.jpg

IMAG2640_1.jpg

Screenshot_2015-09-22-12-10-16.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my entry.
I used Mike's Fragrances 'N More's "Honey"(.6 Oz ppo). The black is a mixture of activated charcoal and Nurture's Pearl Black Mica. The Yellow is Nurture's Sunshine Yellow Mica. My inspiration logo was the Steelers black and yellow/Gold.

The first two pictures are right after cutting. The second two are at about 52 hours after cutting.

WP_20150920_005.jpg

WP_20150920_010.jpg

WP_20150922_009.jpg

WP_20150922_008.jpg

Steelers Helmet.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry!

The fragrance oil is brambleberry's black amber and lavender (which i got from 'you wish zeep' in europe).

The brand i chose was Cadburys, i created the purple using micas: grape nehi and harold's purple crayon.

I attempted a circling taiwan swirl for the design which i quite like, am annoyed by the pesky little air bubbles though as they show up so much on a dark soap!

Pic 1: just poured
Pic 2: just cut
Pic 3: after discolouration

1442954594844.jpg

1442954615185.jpg

1442954641367.jpg

Here's my official entry. I'm having issues getting the orange to photograph properly- it's more orangey in real life.

FO was Autumn Magic from NG. Part is uncolored with FO only, part is dye only with no FO, and part is FO and dye.

Brand was supposed to be the Baltimore Orioles.
1. Freshly poured
2. Freshly cut
3. Cured for 3 weeks

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442957148.590427.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442957168.572064.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442957178.775627.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442957193.038879.jpg

Here is my entry, the brand colours I chose to use were purple white and green for Wimbledon.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442959465.479510.jpg

Here is the colour after the cut

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442959646.803652.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442959704.248041.jpg

And here is my entry after it has had chance to discolour.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1442959486.472004.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1442959569.294809.jpg

Sorry I forgot to add that I used gracefruit's porridge oats fragrance at 3% in the uncoloured batter.

Last edited:
Well, this one didn't work out nearly like I wanted...poured with my batter too thin and it just got all muddied up. And my purple lost a lot of it's color as well. :sad: Oh well, I had fun anyway!! :D:thumbup:

So, I used BB's Black Amber & Lavender. I poured off three 10-ounce sections of batter and added my DFO to the main section left over. I then added purple mica to one section, yellow mica to another section, and left one section plain. I attempted a simple drop swirl, but as I said, my batter was too thin and it all blended together into a yucky mess.

Just poured:
DFO Challenge - Pour.JPG

Just cut:
DFO Challenge - Cut-1.JPG

DFO Challenge - Cut-2.JPG

After a week:
DFO Challenge 1 week.JPG

DFO Challenge at 1 week.JPG

My Logo colors:
tempIMG_5821_2013UniHelmet--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Made my soap using BB's Pumpkin Lager (a dc'ed scent). Bottom is uncolored but scented soap, then a layer of M&P with gold, then an ITP pour with uncolored unscented soap, black scented, and deep orange/red unscented, with gold mica in oil incorporated. It mostly gelled, as you can see. Used 0.6 ounces of FO in 16 ounces of oils but one color got no scent.

Made with Ferrari Black

roack soap.jpg

rock soap3.jpg

rock soap1.jpg

Rock soap.jpg

ferrari.png

I'm interested in how you got your melt and pour and cp layers to stick together newbie. Your soap is stunning, really classy.

Oops wrong thread. So sorry, would delete and move if I knew how!

Hey -- why did the close date change?? Maybe I should wait for more discolor, or take another stab. Well, just to be safe, here we go...

Light soaps are before discolor, darks are after, and the dolphin is the obligatory corporate color.

DFO (brown) was BB Oatmeal Stout (75%) and BB Select Vanilla (25%); no colorants. The rest was unscented and colored with BB blue pearl mica, and blue pearl mica + chromium oxide + TD.

resized prediscolr brown mixIMG_0737.jpg

resizedIMG_0795.jpg

resized pre diiscolor white drop.jpg

resized800 to 375.png

dolphin.jpe

Back