Official entry thread: SMF Soap Making Challenge: September Discoloring FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here's my entry (the best of four attempts LOL)

3lb Batch done in a tall skinny loaf mold
DFO is Just Scent Becky's Ultimate Vanilla - used .5 oz in 1/3 of soap batter
Other two portions were scented with Bitter Creeks Lime Basil
Colorants used were 1/3 of batter - DFO, 1/3 of batter - indigo in lye water, and 1/3 uncolored.
CP, fridge for 30 mins to slow gelling, then wrapped loosely so if it was going to gel, it would do it slowly and gently.

Picture 1 - in the mold freshly poured
Picture 2 - at cut 24 hours later
Picture 3 - at 48 hours
Picture 4 - brand logo Tiffany& Co (I'm hoping that the DFO darkens even more over time)

uploadfromtaptalk1443015901009.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443015945166.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443015963204.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443015988837.jpg

My official entry:

I used .5 Oz. Turkish Mocha as my discoloring FO in the bottom portion of the soap. The FO is doing it's thing to color the bottom of the soap. It is separated by a thin gold mica line (hard to see, sorry) and the top is scented with .3 oz. of Peppermint Essential oil, 1st Distilled, from BB. It is colored with Cellini Red mica from BB. The top is colored with Titanium Dioxide from Brambleberry. The white portion is not scented at all. It is topped off with a light gold mica sprinkle, brown melt and pour soap curls, and melt and pour peppermints that I made using empty toilet paper rolls as molds.

Since I CPOP'd the bottom/discoloring layer and the red layer, but had MP decorations on top, I CPOP'D the bottom two layers, then added the piping and decorations after.

My logo was Pizza Hut red, since 1 )I like red, 2) I work there, 3) Turkish Mocha was an FO and if you research anything Turkish, your first research returns get lots of red things. Flags, etc.

Picture 1: The soap intended to be colored red. Shows no discoloration. It has Peppermint EO scent in the soap.
Picture 2: The soap with the Turkish Mocha FO added. It is already starting to discolor in the soap bowl! (I was happy)
Picture 3: Soap in the mold, getting ready to go to bedbed.
Picture 4: The soap pulled from the mold slight less than 24 hours- more like 20 hours. I pulled it from the mold late that next night, but did not cut till the next morning.
Picture 5: The soap cut the next morning, after 24 hours but before 48 hours
Picture 6: The soap as it was today, 9/24/15, several days after being made (well after 48 hours, more like a week or so)
Picture 7: My awesome Pizza Hut Logo :)

Thanks for looking!

1_Soap-no-Disc-FO.jpg

2_Soap--with-Disc-FO.jpg

3_Turkish-Peppermint-1-Web-Resolution.jpg

4_Turkish-Peppermint-Side-Web.jpg

5_Turk-Pep-1st-cut.jpg

6_Chal-Sp-Final-pic-web.jpg

PIZZA_HUT_0.jpg

I used floating island from fragrance buddy with 2.19ozs in 35 ozs of oil. I split the batter in half and divided that again. I added about 2/3 of the oil into the darker color and 1/3 in the lighter color with TD. The blue and white is unscented. I was going for Tiffany blue with gold mica lines and a beachy theme. I used 6 different blues and greens from various suppliers. I didn't gel. It was put into the freezer overnight.

image1(1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1073(1).jpg

IMG_1076(1).jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

image2(1).jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Last edited:
Used Deluxe Vanilla from WSP for the discoloring, the blue I was going for was Dell blue but I think I ended up with more of an AT&T blue. My fo bled into my unscented colors in both of my batches which wasn't planned but this second one felt a little more wispy so I don't mind it as much.

First is just poured, second is just cut, last is after a couple weeks.

1443291787791.jpg

1443291824388.jpg

1443291851170.jpg

1443291900390.jpg

I ended up going with the pumpkin puke batch for my challenge entry. Wanted to make a 2nd attempt but it was a 'crap happens' kinda week. I used Fragrance Buddy's Cinnamon Pumpkin Souffle FO at the max 4%. FO was added to all portions of the batter except the white. Black portion was activated charcoal and orange portion was Nurture's Desert Sunset with a smidge of BB Copper Sparkle. Soap most definitely gelled . . . this FO seemed to be a heater.

First pic is immediately after cutting and 2nd pic was taken 4 days later. I wasn't seeing much discoloration at the 48hr mark but after day 3 it started to kick in. I was really hoping my Omar stamps would arrive in time to embellish some of the bars but no such luck. My brand colors are Harley Davidson orange & black.

wwwdownlogo.gif

IMG_1138[1].jpg

IMG_1156[1].jpg

Last edited:
Well here it is, not as dark as I would have liked it to go.

My FO is coconut chocolate from Sensory Perfection, the vanillin content is 2.3%. My brand is Barbie

I used the CPOP method as I wanted it to gel.

I used pink neon (thanks Snappy!), TD and a little yellow (in the batter with the FO)

It wasn't changing colour so I've had bars in various places in the house: near a radiator, in the loft and on a windowsill. The one that has discoloured best is the one in the window - is that because of the sun, the warmth through the glass or both?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443347070.478853.jpg
In the mould after pouring

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443347117.649344.jpg
Straight after cutting

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443347171.040807.jpg
After 12 days

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443347187.717815.jpg
Next to a bar that was curing next to the radiator

My brand logo
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443347224.334351.jpg

I have made a batch inspired by Lentilky, sweets from the Czech Republic, which are known by the generation born in 80's in Poland. They are visually quite similar to M&Ms or Smarties (however with a bit different colours and taste) but they were invented much earlier than these two - in 1907.

For the discoloured part I have used Vanille FO from behawe.com, at 3,6%. The other parts were scented with lavender and lavandin EO.

Unfortunately it seems I should have put some TD into the coloured part because despite gelling the colours have lost their definition and sharpness. I also had to steam them twice to get rid of soda ash. Please excuse the spontaneous "right after cut" pictures - before beveling they look quite awful.

But they smell heavenly! And I am on a diet so it's always good to have some sweets around at least in the form of soap... ;).

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

215910_1032099295715_1622395684_93869_3421_n.jpg

Last edited:
I made a spooky batch. I used the DFO in 3 sections (bottom section is 1/5th of the batter and has no extra color). My oil is Toasted Marshmallow from RE. My brand color is Jacksonville Jaguars teal.

Bottom layer: 1.5 oz DFO
Layer 2: 0.15 oz DFO, + teal (jungle green and saphire blue mica)
Layer 3: 0.05 oz DFO and teal

The top layers were supposed to come out smooth but did not. They swirled into each other.

I called this soap "The Watery Grave"

Pic 1: soap after discolor (4 days)
Pic 2: soap top
Pic 3: Soap when cut
Pic 4: Logo

uploadfromtaptalk1443400541022.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443400508607.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443400519010.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1443400563830.jpg

Alright everyone sorry for delaying the results! Had to get a second opinion on how to announce them.
The results are in, and we have 3 people tied for first place!

Tied for First Place we have:

Tvivian, with a Starbucks inspired soap
Lionprincess00, with a Hello Kitty inspired soap
newbie, with a Ferrari inspired soap

In Second Place:

dibbles, with a Martha Stewart inspired soap

In Third Place:

mintle, with a Lentilky inspired soap

Thank you so much to those that participated and thank you for dealing with my crazy rules!
Congratulations to all of the winners!

hahahaha! so happy to catch on the podium! congratulations to everyone and thank you for organizing this challenge!

Well done to all the winners. Fantastic entries from everyone! Can't wait for sonyas 's challenge now. I'm really excited as I've not tried the technique before.

Very challenging challenge. Everyone did spectacularly! Congratulations to the well deserving winners!

Congratulations everyone! Those were lovely soaps and seeing what yall came up with gives me great ideas for how to embrace the brown. :)

I am floored and humbled to have gotten even one vote. There were so many lovely entries, and I thank you. Great job everyone, and this was a very fun challenge - big thank you to Galaxy.

If you will indulge me a little, I have a back story about this design. I lost my mom about a year and a half ago after a short illness. I love the combination of brown and blue (my challenge colors). My mom had an extreme love of dark chocolate (never milk chocolate) and beautiful blue eyes. She was also a talented knitter of Norwegian sweaters, and one of my favorites that she made was a brown/white/blue cardigan. So when I ordered my FO (before the challenge was even posted) I had something like this in mind, a soap of memories of her. So in my mind this soap is named Barbara Blue Eyes.

That's a wonderful tribute, dibbles. Your soap was beautiful and one of my favorites.

Really enjoyed reading about the inspiration for your soap dibbles. My dad is a serious dark-chocoholic and I inherited that gene from him . . . my mom is a huge Martha Stewart fan so your entry got a vote from me! Actually I was wishing everyone got 5 votes instead of 3 because it was a really tough choice this month!

Back