Official entry thread: SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Here it is guys!

Please post your SMF October entry in this thread. No commenting in here please - if you would like to comment please do so in the tutorial thread.

All we need to see is a cut pic of your soap showing the feather within.

Entries need to be posted here by 11.59pm BST on the 24th October when the link to vote will be provided.

Good luck!!

I get to be first?? Yay!! Here's my entry. My dividers weren't quite tight enough and kept drifting so my feather is a little wider than it should have been but, all in all, I'm happy with it. Depending on the light, you can even see a little glitter from the micas I used.

Feather challenge 815 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Colours used were cocoa, bronze mica, and copper mica.

I only tried the challenge one time, and was undecided if I would post my attempt or not until this morning. I loved learning a new technique, and experimenting with colors.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1445263209.049846.jpg

Here's mine! Oh I'm so excited to see all these! I had my share of issues here, namely that my grey and blue were closer in hue than I hoped, and my bottom 2 layers broke through before I figured out I should pour them onto a spoon lol. But I like the shape I got and it was super fun to participate!

1445294133305.jpg

Lots of crackle but the background is BLack Pearl and AC. Used MO's Flirt, TKB's Pink Pearl, TKB's Zirconium Cluster, Nurture's Spring Green and Moss Green. There really are three uses of each color but some of the layers are thin and I used both high and low water batters for the pinks, which gives them different tones. Swear I followed the rules!!!

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 9.35.36 AM.jpg

I tried different methods to get my feathers, 1st one I thought looked too perfect & boxy , I used the dividers, 2nd one I free handed using my spatulas, & it slide because I used 91% alcohol between the layers. My third was a charm, my feathers are not boxy & square, my background color I did a gradient yellow & used the wide ribbon mayo containers.

temporary_125.jpg

temporary_112.jpg

temporary_111.jpg

temporary_113.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty, here's my entry. I was inspired by photos of my home turf (N.J.) during the changing season, so decided to make a soap that had the colors of the falling leaves in it. It is made with natural colorants, and scented with Sunny Herb Garden FO. The body is colored with black walnut powder, and the three colors are yellow (curry powder), orange (annatto powder with a little curry powder added), and red (madder powder with a little annatto powder and curry powder added).uploadfromtaptalk1445442430338.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445442467170.jpg

Back