Official entry thread: SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Here it is guys!

Please post your SMF October entry in this thread. No commenting in here please - if you would like to comment please do so in the tutorial thread.

All we need to see is a cut pic of your soap showing the feather within.

Entries need to be posted here by 11.59pm BST on the 24th October when the link to vote will be provided.

Good luck!!

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get to be first?? Yay!! Here's my entry. My dividers weren't quite tight enough and kept drifting so my feather is a little wider than it should have been but, all in all, I'm happy with it. Depending on the light, you can even see a little glitter from the micas I used.

Feather challenge 815 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Colours used were cocoa, bronze mica, and copper mica.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Here's mine! Oh I'm so excited to see all these! I had my share of issues here, namely that my grey and blue were closer in hue than I hoped, and my bottom 2 layers broke through before I figured out I should pour them onto a spoon lol. But I like the shape I got and it was super fun to participate!

1445294133305.jpg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of crackle but the background is BLack Pearl and AC. Used MO's Flirt, TKB's Pink Pearl, TKB's Zirconium Cluster, Nurture's Spring Green and Moss Green. There really are three uses of each color but some of the layers are thin and I used both high and low water batters for the pinks, which gives them different tones. Swear I followed the rules!!!

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 9.35.36 AM.jpg

skayc1

Reaction score
I tried different methods to get my feathers, 1st one I thought looked too perfect & boxy , I used the dividers, 2nd one I free handed using my spatulas, & it slide because I used 91% alcohol between the layers. My third was a charm, my feathers are not boxy & square, my background color I did a gradient yellow & used the wide ribbon mayo containers.

Last edited:

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had time for another try at this... My bars got a crumbly texture after using a misbehaving FO and caused my colors to look speckled. It discolored to about the same yellow as one of my colors. FO is MO Grow a Pear Tree. I DO NOT recommend it for CP. Sigh.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Alrighty, here's my entry. I was inspired by photos of my home turf (N.J.) during the changing season, so decided to make a soap that had the colors of the falling leaves in it. It is made with natural colorants, and scented with Sunny Herb Garden FO. The body is colored with black walnut powder, and the three colors are yellow (curry powder), orange (annatto powder with a little curry powder added), and red (madder powder with a little annatto powder and curry powder added).uploadfromtaptalk1445442430338.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445442467170.jpg

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Please keep comments to the tutorial thread - just to keep the entry thread tidy. Thanks